I Forge Iron

Need anvil repair

Look up the Robb Gunter method of anvil repair.  If you don't have the skills/equipment to do the repair sometimes the Abana Affiliates in the United States  will have an anvil repair day---but that is a MAJOR repair they may not want to spend all day on *1* anvil.  

Don't allow any welder to touch it if they don't know and use the Gunter method!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Paying to have it repaired may cost more than buying an anvil in better shape---depending on where you live.  I know a great guy down here; I had to force money for consumables on him last time he repaired an anvil for me but NOT KNOWING WHAT COUNTRY YOU ARE IN; I can't tell if I should get you in touch with him.

I see anvils in that condition and wonder what got them that way. Obviously the top plate forge welding process failed. If she could only tell her story of what happened. But anyway, right now you have a block of soft iron/steel and any repair you do isn't going make it worse. Do what Thomas suggested and see what happens. It cant hurt. I've seen some very aggressive repairs on YouTube that turn into a nice Looking anvil. If they are good anvils remains to be seen but they are probably still better then a block a mild steel or a rock :-)  Keep us posted.