I Forge Iron

Peter Wright anvil with peculiar hole

Xavier F-C

Hello iforgeiron!

I started forging around summer 2016 at the age of 17 years old and I still am a total newbie at it.

Luckily for me, with the help of my family, I recently bought a nice old anvil for a very good price. (It replaced my 20 pounds ASO. :D)

According to the writings, I believe it would weight 94 pounds:

peter_wright_seul.jpg

peter_wright_trous.jpg

peter_wright_ecriture.jpg

After looking at the third hole, which has a bottom, I do not really know its utility. If anyone know something about it, I would be very curious.

As far as I see it, this hole easily traps all kind of dusts so it does not seem practical. (I had to clean it a little to see the inside:huh:)

Thanks in advance!

BTW English is my secondary language as I live in Quebec.

Hello Xavier. If the anvil reads 0 3 10 then it would weigh 94lbs like you said. It is a Peter Wright Anvil made in England sometime before 1910.

When the Peter Wright anvils have the word "England" on it they were made after 1910.

That third hole on top looks to be a second Pritchel Hole!

That is a fine looking Anvil!

Thank you responding the iron dwarf and ThomasPowers!

The underside of the heel has a normal curve and has no visible deformation.

Roughly, the third hole shape looks like this:

peculiar_hole.jpg

The cylinder in the picture has a smaller diameter than the normal Pritchel hole.

Do you see any advantages to drill it to make a second Pritchel hole? (Of course dust would no longer accumulate.)

The reason I have not measured the anvil's weight is because I was too lazy to detach it from the tree stump.<_<

My guess is that they tried to drill another pritchel and gave up before completing it.  But they used it and wore it to current shape.

Double pritchel holes are more common of farrier's anvils which tend to the smaller size too for portability; so it might have been done for that reason---however that anvil doesn't show the typical use/abuse of a shoeing anvil---so it might have been a project that was never finished; or something else.

If I owned it I would finish the second pritchel hole and use it for holding special tooling----like take a 3/4 to 1" thick disk and drill a center hole that matches that pritchel hole and set a bolt through the disk and anvil and then drill a series of ascending size holes in the disk that map to the hardy hole to make a bolster plate---and shift punching and drifting forces a bit more inboard from that heel.

I agree with you ThomasPowers that making a disc tool would be a great project to be more effective at these tasks and being better for the heel.

Would you suggest drilling the cylinder diameter or a bit larger to remove some of the above curve?

Of course right now I do not really need such a disc nor do I want to make an important change to the anvil so early.

But the project is definitely something I could do in the near future.;)