I Forge Iron

Tank has larger than expected volume?

redmike512

Hello all,

I'm currently working on building a gas forge using a helium tank as the shell.  I was planning on lining with 2" kaowool, but by my calculations, that leaves me with a larger interior volume than I expected.  So I'd likely need two burners.  But when I set two inlet ports on the tank, it looks crowded.  Am I doing something wrong?

The tank is 14" tall and 12" in diameter.  About 10" of the height is the full diameter, with 2" on each end forming the end caps, so to speak.  Using just the 10" straight section, and assuming a 2" lining, I'm coming up with an inner volume of about 500 cubic inches.   Am I correct in thinking I'd need 2 of most types of burners, or maybe a single T-rex?  Should I go for 3 inches of lining to further reduce the chamber volume? 

Many thanks.

If your lining blanket is anything like mine was it actually finished out at 2.5" after putting in two 1" layers. That brings you down to 380. Then what about the floor? I ended up flattening the bottom for a flat floor. My dimensions were similar to yours but I ended up at roughly 325 cubic inches. I included a layer of refractory cement over my blanket. My cubic inches were going to end up too small and I ended up peeling some of the blanket out then packing the castable in tight so I would have enough space.

If you apply about 1/2" of castable hard refractory as an  inner liner or flame face it reduces the volume to around 400 cu/in +/- so partially filling the bottom for a flat floor will reduce the volume plenty to get you in the 350 cu/in range.

Frosty The Lucky.

Which all leaves you more than well served by any average 3/4" burner, or two average 1/2" burners. You could be tickled to death the two superb 3/8" burners in the same forge, but it takes more than a good design to end up with such bad ass heaters, so let's limit the discussion to the easily doable. One of the main point of metal burner ports on forge shells it their ability to let you mix and match burners, later on.