I Forge Iron

Preying Mantis.

Hey Das, that is brilliant, mate! I love the detail in the face. The pipe wrenches and ring gear work so well for the grabbers. Are his antennae a bit long?? What are the wings? I've done a lot of mantises, but I'll take away an idea or two of yours if I may!

I like the battle scene too. I'll back that mantis.

Thanks Aus, Jimmy, Frosty. 

Aus, the antenna seemed right to me for it.  They could be a tad long. They were car antenna cut in half. The wings are made from a sheet of stainless that was scalloped in a way. Basically had bends in it that flared out from the center. I cut out the shapes with my plasma cutter and the larger four wings I bent some round bar for a brace. I used your idea of a sickle bar blade for the base shape of the head :) art inspires art as life inspires art. Feel free. 

I'll try to get a better picture of the wings later. 

Frosty, I don't know what's next. Someone suggested mothra. :D 

2 hours ago, bigb said:

Really nice work. What kind of plasma cutter do you have? I am trying to decide which one to buy myself

But as big a one as you can. Mine is 110v and less then I need. It will struggle with 3/16" but thin stuff it will cut like butter. I'm thinking a more heavy duty cutter may be in the cards. 

1 hour ago, Adun Clebr said:

Those are some really cool peices, daswulf. Did you use 0.23-0.25 wire? Edit - I mean on the stainless wings.

I use .023 wire on most all I do. Works on body work and sculpture so far. I build up on larger stuff. But once I start making large sculptures I'd like to run a heavier duty welder with .030 or .035.  Or finally justify the tig.