I Forge Iron

Grate holes too large?

gonefishin

Fired up the forge for the first time today and had a blast! One thing I did notice was a lot of my coal falling through the grate. I use pea sized smithing coal. The grate is raised slightly above the firepot and doubles as a clinker breaker, so there is also space around the grate where coal falls through as well.

Is this common or is my grate too big? I know it needs to be fairly large to allow air to get through and not get clogged. My main concern was with hot coals dropping into the ash dump and piling in there.

If it needs attention mesh would just burn up, any ideas without having to completely replace what's in there? Maybe something could be Jb welded on?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sounds like a fire management issue to me. Sift out some larger coal than will fall through the slits. Wet some more into paste or mud. I prefer to build coal fires with a coil of cardboard allowed to spring open SLIGHTLY and laid over the fire grate. Surround the coil with coarse coal for a couple inches then pack a few inches of wet coal dust around that. Next cover the coil with coarse coal leaving an inch or so open in the center to drop a match in.;) Tamp damp dust around it forming a dome. GENTLY turn the blower and drop a lit wooden match into the coil, when it starts burning increase the blast till it looks like a blow torch and cover it with coarse coal.

This method is a good way to produce an open dome supported by burning breeze (forge coke). Once you have a good beehive dome get to forging.

Whenever you have problems with a machine or tool look first to how you're using it, it's rare indeed the tool's fault and trying to adjust or "repair" a tool you don't know how to use is a recipe for disaster.

Frosty The Lucky.  

gallery_1_534_30978.jpg

This is 2 pieces of 3/8 inch bolt across a 3 inch opening. Works well using coal DUST as fuel.

Get a good fire (cardboard, sticks, etc) going. Then add your fine coal on top of the existing fire so it can coke up. A shallow fire does not work as well as a deeper fire. You can over fuel the forge without a problem. Fuel does not make a fire hot, air makes the fire hot. A good bed of coals is needed to get the metal hot so you can then forge that metal. 

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Are you wetting it and coking it into larger chunks?

Haven't wet any of the coals yet, but did get nice big chunks of coke going. Wanted to make sure the grate wasn't oversized before lighting the forge up again. I was told not to wet the coals on a cast iron forge as it causes stress and cracking, but everything I've read in my own study and am being told here indicates the opposite. Will try that next time. Good idea too with the cardboard.

large.582097b0cd058_breeze2.jpg.b7231d6f

large.5820979aae3e2_breeze1.jpg.6c5d35dd

Damp coal fines or dust. Scoop out a hand full of black mud, squeeze out the water and place it on the top of the fire. They will get hot, coke up and become useful as a fuel.

DO NOT try to control a fire by pouring or adding water on the fire. The thermal shock can crack a fire pot.