I Forge Iron

Hay Budden Year identification Help

If I am reading correctly, and the serial # is 38808, your anvil was made in 1898.  It was made in Brooklyn NY.  Hay Budden made anvils from around 1892 till 1928.  They are considered one of the best brand anvils.  Your anvil obviously has some use and chipping, but it is still fully functional for another few hundred years of pounding.

• 2 years later...

Mr. Arkie,

Such use is copyright infringement in Canada, too. (under the Federal Copyright Act).

It does not fall within the fair dealing exception, of the act nor jusrispudence of the Canadian Supreme Court.

Mr. Postman could give that use his approval, but that is up to him.

SLAG.

I do apologize 

I found the pic on the net and wasn't aware it was from his book. Just thought it was a list a list someone might have put together from publicly published materials. 

Won't happen again 

Senor, Frosty,

Great news about the party.  I guess that the post-party hemodialysis and gastric lavage did the trick,

and,  now,  you feel like a new man.

Welcome back,  amigo.

Bully !!

SLAG.

Ahhh,   just kidding  compadre.

30 minutes ago, SLAG said:

hemodialysis and gastric lavage

Unnecessary this year I'm pleased to say. I hope I don't reflect too badly on the traditional blacksmith community.  We were in cognito as normal old folks. Normal!:o <shudder>

Most trying aspect of the weekend was smoke from the fires making our eyes gritty, Deb and I went through a LOT of eye drops.

Frosty The Lucky.

You and Marge would love Valdez, great scenery, good food, nice people. Halibut and Salmon fishing if you wouldn't prefer stream and lake fishing. If you want to go fishing that is. Bring rain gear though, it's usually not sunny and hot.

Temp barely broke 70 today it felt a little chilly. I can't believe how fast I adapted to 80s!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Mitchellm543 said:

Hi,

Just got my first Hay Budden anvil. Serial number is 174344. Could anyone who owns the book or knows possibly tell me how old this thing is?

Thanks!

According to Anvils in America, made approx 1910.