I Forge Iron

WW I Soldier from Scrap

olfart

12 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

That's truly something unique. I can't help but wonder what was used for the eyes. They have a hollowness I can't describe. 

Something black and shiny, set deeply in the socket. You're right; it's great attention to (the most important) detail.

Wow, that guy is impressive! i wonder how much it weights.....I bet it would be pretty bad if it tipped over onto that building next to it...

Littleblacksmith

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Even easier and more practical would be painting the eye gloss black. Good depth can be achieved with clear coat. 

True, but outdoor durability would be an issue. A big black glass marble could be put in a premade socket and a retaining piece put on from behind (either welded or bolted) easily enough, and you wouldn't have to worry about it chipping, peeling, or fading after exposure to a British winter or two.

It is not to my taste; my quibble is it looks more like he had a magnet set for the basic form and poured random scrap over it and then welded it together.  I prefer the ones where every piece looks hand selected for *just* *that* *spot* and then welded up.  We have several talented folks here doing just that.

• 4 weeks later...