I Forge Iron

Tonight's work

Jimmyiorn

Bring em over, we can test em out :) that's the best test. If they hold up they might be good. 

I recently broke 2 punches I made. One in use and the other by dropping it. They were early ones I made. Guess I didn't temper them back enough. If I needed to harden and temper them at all. What steel did you use? And did you heat treat them? They look fine to me. 

well and for punching hot steel I find no need to heat treat punches. First, hot steel is softer than cold steel, and second, when you back punch (or at least when I do) to punch a plug, my punch almost always gets stuck, and by the time i get it out it has lost its temper.

Littleblacksmith

29 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

well and for punching hot steel I find no need to heat treat punches. First, hot steel is softer than cold steel, and second, when you back punch (or at least when I do) to punch a plug, my punch almost always gets stuck, and by the time i get it out it has lost its temper.

Littleblacksmith

(1) Use punch lube (coal dust, wax, or something fancier; lots of threads about that on IFI).

(2) Don't hit the punch more than three times before taking it out to cool. Some people will take it out between every single hit to cool, either in the air, in a can of water, or by touching the tip to the (relatively cooler) surface of the anvil.

I take the punch out after every blow, trust me, I'm big about that, and am very much against hitting it more than once unless it it when you are sheering the plug. I don't mind the punch getting hot, as it still holds up just fine, and the only time it gets hot is when it gets stuck. And when I say it gets stuck, I don't mean I have trouble getting it out, just that I can't pull it out. I don't have an issue about it getting stuck. 

Littleblacksmith 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, JHCC said:

Sounds like some punch lube is the way to go. 

Does yours not get stuck? when you don't use the lube of course (if you do).

Littleblacksmith

I'll be using punch lube when punching larger stuff (like 2" round) such has hammers. But when punching smaller stock I would imagine it would be more time/ energy to use the punch lube than to flip over the steel, and pop the punch out. The only time it gets stuck is at the very end when I'm done punching.

Littleblacksmith

26 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

snip...I would imagine it would be more time/ energy to use the punch lube than to flip over the steel, and pop the punch out. snip...

Imagine no more. Using graphite and wax saves about half the energy when punching. I experimented with and without watching the pressure gauge on the press.

Alan

I make sure the punch I use to pop out the plug is filed smooth. If there is a hint on mushrooming on the end, it will likely get stuck and heat up. A slight taper is useful too.

And I always put a catcher under the pritchel hole. Those little orange plugs are no fun down your boot. :o

1 hour ago, Alan Evans said:

Imagine no more. Using graphite and wax saves about half the energy when punching. I experimented with and without watching the pressure gauge on the press.

Alan

What Alan said. Wax and coal dust also works. 

Went to forge with Daswulf yesterday for a while, had a blast, made a hammer eye punch from 4140 and a few spike bottle openers, both tested to be functional I must say. This was the first eye punch that either of us made on our own and first time I have made a bottle opener of this style. 

Das thanks had fun

image.jpg