I Forge Iron

Side Draft Chimney Pipe Question

I am going to put in a side-draft chimney system for my coal forge, and understand that 12” diameter is recommended.  However, I have to question the cost I am seeing for that size pipe.  Near as I can tell single wall 12” stove pipe is easily 10x more expensive than 8” single wall?  ($140 vs. $14 for a 3’ stick) Am I looking at the right thing? I don’t want to take any shortcuts, but neither do I want to pay hundreds more if not needed either.   Just how hot is this pipe going to get? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't line the seams up between sections it won't want to pop open as easily, rivet or screw the sections together and it can't open up. No need to pay extra for unplated stove pipe anywhere but directly over the fire and if you have a large enough hood to let the exhaust cool a bit you can go galvy all the way. Coal forges don't make that much waste heat, it's part of the reason you need an oversized stack nor is multiple wall desirable.

Frosty The Lucky.