I Forge Iron

Welcome to the Carpathian forests

Ibor

I should have at the beginning of this section to write but did not see .....
My name is Valdemar, I live in Poland in the Carpathian mountains.
I work in experimental archeology, bronze and iron age .... but I do not avoid from the Chalcolithic or Copper Age.
I love the old, fibrous iron and the smell of sulfur ... .....
Greetings to all Members Forum

39 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sulfur?  Using coal dates to after the iron age...

Ibor, be warned: ThomasPowers is our resident medievalist and more than willing to nitpick (in a friendly way!) about the details of material science history!

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sulfur?  Using coal dates to after the iron age...

I don't think he's talking about coal Thomas, I think he likes standing down wind from old farts like . . . :P

Oh Valdemar: we like having fun with our friends and tease each other regularly. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas Powers,writing about the sulfur in the iron fiber thought of the smell of hydrogen sulfide which is intense, as well as the color of a red-brown.

With me on the scrap you can still find a lot of iron.
I like it terribly because he has a "soul" and the history of shoes .... but much more difficult than today, because of contamination or stringy.

You can get some sulfur when you are smelting iron from bog ores too; generally dealt with by roasting the ore before smelting .

Charcoal smelted wrought iron shouldn't have any sulfur in it. Coal smelted wrought iron may have sulfur in it and so be hot short.

Wrought iron does have a lot more character to it; but with the wide range of quality to it working it can be an adventure!

I hope this translates well...