I Forge Iron

Unique Cross

Greetings to you Jim. I got that already, and I need to figure how to tuck and fold  which side through . I cut long slits after making the cross, but I want it to look like the one in the picture. It looks real neat.

Thanks Turbo. I was trying to pass one end through, when all I needed to do was twist the ends the right way. I comes out pretty good.

The clay kept breaking, but you got the right idea. When I get it perfected, I will do it in iron.

That was easy now wasn't it. It was a real challenge to figure out,  but you did it Turbo7. It would be nice on a larger scale, but over 1" stock is a little much,  to be twisting in 2 hands with tongs.

Well everyone has to have a challenge once in a while. I am pleased with the response on the unique Cross.

I'm finishing up 6 roses for a few customers. Then I'll make the Cross in iron, if I can. You learn from mistakes and challenge yourself to do something

that's different. Can't always do the same stuff. Each time I do things over and over, I do get better. It's amazing, for me, to see how much you can force a piece of metal to go where you want to. Hot metal and a hammer calms me down. Some folks go to a gym for weights, get a hammer and see how much better you feel after a day at the forge and anvil.

I found that using clay they were longer than necessary. I will find out in steel. If you look at the original picture I posted, they appear long in relation to the length and width of cross. Experiment is what I will do to get it right. I have no idea how many times I will have to make them, to get it looking right.