I Forge Iron

Kansas day demo

I was asked by the local museum to give a talk and maybe demonstration about the craft for Kansas day. I have not spent a whole lot of time around children since I was one so I don't know what kind of things I can do to keep them intertwined and involved. I know that whatever I decide to do I'll need to have it prepped before hand and I'm not real sure how long I will have each group.

ive thought about trying some of the Russian roses that were mentioned in the copper tulip thread or maybe some leaf keychains. What some other kindergarten-6th grade friendly ideas?

Have some scrap wood around; kids really are impressed when "black iron" spews smoke and flame when touched to wood---a regular part of the "how hot is it" discussion and the blacksmiths definition of cold.   When I did a demo for a cub scout camporee they really liked it when I made small branding irons and branded their pack numbers on a piece of scrap they could have.

You do not mention the ages of the group involved. This makes a large difference as to safety, and what you are doing.

Small children in a group, and fire can be dangerous. Put debris shields between the fire, anvil, and the little darlings. A barrier to keep the visitors at a safe distance is a good thing. Always be watchful of the one kid that sneaks in from the side or behind you, and wants to touch things. You do not want the paramedics coming to your demo on official business.

With demos, stick with something quick and simple. 3 or 4 projects will keep the demo different for each group. As Thomas said, visual simulation is always memorable.

Fire is more impressive.  Don't do forge welding or things that have a tendency to flip out of your tongs and have a definite crowd control barrier to keep people out of the scale flying zone and things should be fine.  If you have a display table, it should be out of arm's reach on your side of the crowd control barrier too!

For small kids the "single rope at waist high to an adult" will not work; they will wander/duck under it!

Yep, and it never hurts to give them all safety glasses. Get the cheap $2 kind and let them keep the glasses. Sometimes older guys get cranky over wearing glasses, but to a kid, it makes them feel like more a part of the whole thing. Also gives them a souvenir.

Case in point, the only thing I remember about the field trip of a car plant I took when I was 6 was the fun of getting to keep the glasses!

$2 a piece may only add up to a couple of thousand dollars if it's a well attended event.  I'd add a few more feet to the crowd to forge space.  Some people will put up plexiglass panels if they will be doing things like forge welding or if there is not much room and so the crowd will be close.

39 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

Pancho

Where and when...and can an old kid sneak in?

Papy

Ashland Kansas, 30th of this month

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

$2 a piece may only add up to a couple of thousand dollars if it's a well attended event.  I'd add a few more feet to the crowd to forge space.  Some people will put up plexiglass panels if they will be doing things like forge welding or if there is not much room and so the crowd will be close.

It's a small school but it would add up pretty quick. I'm not sure what I'll do for barriers yet, as far as I know they museum may have a plan already

I like doing demos with the little kids. Try to involve them as much as you can. Some have the attention span of a gnat so you have to be on the ball. I usually get one to come in and turn the forge for a while ... safely of course. Covered shoes, safety glasses, gloves etc. Kids like that - it makes them feel important. And if you don't want to have burnt metal choose a girl - if you tell them to turn the forge blower gently they will. Boys prefer Mount Vesuvius.

As for projects, the old 6mm square bar double hook with a twist in the middle and a bit of  '24 carat gold'  burnished on the twist works well. Kids will believe anything.  Small snakes from an old engine pushrod or a short length of all thread are popular. The kids like the hiss in the quench bucket when they come alive. Quick leaf key rings work well too and show a variety of processes.

You can make a little kid feel pretty special by letting them bend a piece of 10mm rebar held in vice. The same piece of rebar that the biggest kid in the class couldn't bend cold. Makes them feel like Superman.

Involve them at every opportunity. If you are going to quench hot metal ask them what will happen. Will it make a sound? What will it sound like? etc. Enjoy your work with kids - it can be fun. Just keep 'em safe!

A little project resulting in a nice take away is a tiny spoon keychain ornament forged from a horseshoe nail.  Form the head end into a spoon, curl the other end into a loop. Quench and put a tiny keychain loop in there and you're done.

One of the blacksmiths at this show in MN does that throughout the day, and it was a hit with my kids when they were a little younger: http://www.littleloghouseshow.com/general-information/  He was able to turn them out pretty quick.

-- Dave

• 2 weeks later...