I Forge Iron

Show me your critters from bolts, nuts, and scrap

Hi Old Timer, welcome aboard. 

If you check out the "metal sculptures and carvings" section you will find many posts with eye candy inspiration there. 

I look forward to seeing what your minds eye ends up creating, be sure to post what you come up with. 

Punches can be made cheaply from sections of coil springs salvaged from cars. They don't take a lot of hammering to make and can be ground or filed to what shape you want. I try to heat treat mine but if it's just a shape punch that won't get heavily pounded you could probably get away without a heat treat on them since they are harder then the heated steel you will use them on. 

I have some new shapes I need to make myself. 

Well if you are forging a snake you need to punch the eyes and nostrils. A nice sharp chisel can do the mouth. For my snake eyes i took a round tapered punch and drilled the tip to make a divot so it has a surround ring and a central more raised eye. ( I still plan to improve on that punch and make several sizes and styles.). Then a pointed punch for the nostrils. ( again I have plans for different shapes and sizes.) 

there are way better tool makers then me lol so I'm sure a little searching here on punch making will steer you in a better direction.