I Forge Iron

What do you think of this burner angle?

bigb

I punched the hole at 2:00 but I didn't take into account the reduced size after the liner is in. The cardboard represents the liner dimensions. Will this work or should I punch another hole a bit higher? (I punched one on top too so I can experiment with different burner locations, plugging the unused port with wool)

f2.jpg

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

The angle looks okay to me B but the chamber looks awfully small for that size burner.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes I noticed it looks smaller than I had envisioned. It's a 3/4" Z burner. I can make the chamber slightly larger if I reduce the refractory on top down to 1/4" instead of 1/2", I can also drop the floor 1" by using only one layer of wool. I can also extend the bottom enough to use 2" of wool and still gain 1". Presently my cubic inches will be under 200.

I don't know how possible or practical it is for you but I'd just make it taller. 200cu/in as really small for a 3/4" burner but probably too large for a 1/2" one. 

I wouldn't reduce the blanket, it would lose more heat. Getting another inch of height would be a good thing I think.

The problem I see with this particular layout is #1 a really deep, sharp angle between the vault and floor. It will tend to trap the flame and reflect it back making more back pressure. The small volume might not be significant until you compound it with the deep sharp pocket created by the vault and floor intersection. 

I think the deep sharp intersection between vault and floor is the most significant potential problem.

Just bear in mind I LOVE to  be proven wrong, I don't think I am but I'm wrong often enough I just harvest the lessons.

Frosty The Lucky.

I did think about that sharp corner and I am considering rounding it out with Kast-O-Lite. Of course that will furthur reduce my cu in. As it stands I am only at 140 cu in, Every inch of height I add will add about 90 cu in so I am thinking 1 or 1.5" of additional height and filling in those corners.

Oh yeah, 140 cu/in is wants a 1/2" burner, it's towards the low end even. If you can put another 1.5" in it I think you'll be much happier and even using a tack point tool to smooth the inside corner wouldn't hurt a bit.

Frosty The Lucky.

It'll be easy to raise with some 1.5 X 2" angle I have a ton of. Already popped the bottom off and cut the angle. Had to stop to take the wife out to dinner for NYE. Will tack it all up tomorrow and hopefully get it lined and photographed. I might cut some triangular strips of blanket to help round out the corners before appyling the Kast-O-Lite, and make up a joint tool, or maybe just use a spoon. Thanks for all your help and Happy New Year!

All put together and lined with Kaowool. One thing I noticed is that two 1" layers of blanket actually measure 2.5" which will reduce my cubic inches unless I either compress it or go with a thinner layer of Kast-O-Lite instead of 1/2". Will compressing the blanket reduce the insulating properties like it does building insulation?

fg1.jpg

fg2.jpg

fg3.jpg

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

What do you have planned for the doors?

Frosty The Lucky.

I am just going to use soft fire bricks that slide on metal channel for the front and the back is an NC Tool cast iron door.