I Forge Iron

School me on this post vise.. please...

Thats Hot...

When I open the vise it is tight ( it does not spin fast like a bench vise at all ) until it gets to about 3 to 4 " open. You can see the piece just past the handle in front of the jaw, it will spin when the vise is open about 3". This is my first post vise and all and all it is clean and straight, it just is tight to open. I am going to fab up a tray in the next few days.

006.JPG

011 (2).JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Probably just decades of old dried grease hanging it up. Unscrew the screw fully to clean, and clean the threads inside the screwbox as well.

As to the base, brake drum bodies are cast iron so getting welds to hold is difficult. They may look good, but they tend to crack easily.

I have 6 tools on these drums, And yes they like to crack. On this I turned up the to heat to 1/2 and let her rip... so far no pinging... The first one I did was for a bench vise using a Hobart 140 welder.... I think I can still hear. the pinging now. I need to fab up a tray soon

In 2017 I am going to put a lot of time in to learning this art of Black Smithing . 

Cleaning the screw may help but my guess is that your hinge is too tight and dry. 

Pull the pin, move the moving jaw out of the hinge, examine the condition of the parts, and check for high spots or uneven wear that catch. Clean, smooth touching surfaces, grease and put all back. 

• 2 weeks later...