I Forge Iron

Anvil Help

I bought this anvil with the intention of just backyard hammering. It is marked Sweden, with Paragon in the rectangle above I think. I believe there is a faint 12  on the front base, would that be the year? There are a few pits on the face. Knowing very little about anvils was 150.00 a fair price?

20161220_185024.jpg

20161220_185425.jpg

32 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

looks good, how was the rebound test?

drop a ball bearing on it to see how far it rebounds, try over all the face

tap face all over lightly with a small hammer to see if it sounds different, try horn and heel too.

do not grind or weld on it, use it and it will shine soon

Taping all over produced a high pitch ping sound. No ball bearing, I just used the hammer to free fall and it rebounded 4-5 inches.

18 minutes ago, John McPherson said:

No, it was not a fair price: YOU STOLE IT! :ph34r:

Seriously, it is a premium brand anvil in excellent condition and a handy size. Replacement value is easily worth triple that amount in today's market, or even more, if you could find one. You did just fine if you paid the asking price.

It was sitting in a lot outside surround by junk. It was rusty and covered with grime. I was told it was 80 pounds. The seller said 150. Again I know nothing much about anvils and I thought to myself 150 for a rusty chuck of metal? Almost didn't buy it..

Welcome aboard Penn, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

Uh, let me think a while now, $150.00  for a 91lb. Paragon, cast Swedish steel anvil in apparently excellent condition. Paragon is one of the "brands" cast by Soderfors. Okay, taking all that into account you made a deal so SWEET you need to get your blood sugar checked it might have made you diabetic!

I'm a HUGE fan of Soderfors or other Swedish cast steel anvils and that is a super score. Depending on where you live you could probably turn it around for 5x what you paid and the buyer would be dancing a jig and bragging. No fooling you may never work a finer anvil than that beauty.

Frosty The Lucky.