I Forge Iron

Swage block use

Glenn

Which part of the swage block do you use most often?  Yes I know it depends on the specific project at hand, but what part has the most shine from use?

The edges with V's or semi-circles, The interior squares, the interior circles, the interior slots, etc ?

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:06 PM, Alan Evans said:

Well I have had mine for 30 years, I will let you know when I finally get around to finding a use for it...

Alan

I've found that they are a great conversation starter, other than that I'm stumped.:P

Well, lessee- I use the v and 1/2 rounds on the edge, the circular depressions on the small block, and I park my guillotine in one of the square holes, cone mandrel in another and I set my bolster block over whatever hole is left on the big block. I also use the different round holes for dishing.

Steve

I did not use mine for a number of years except for an occasional half round swage. Then, a large gate job came along, something I had avoided. My helper and I did lots of hot slitting; the opening and through-drifting was done over the swage block holes. The hardie hole was too small to accommodate what we were doing. As one of my mentors, Victor Vera, told me once, "When ya need it, ya need it!"

I do lots of hand forging with a primitive set up and so use one probably every other day of forging or more. I think my most common use lately is laying it on edge and using the various half rounds in the same heat to put texture on leaf edges. Other than that spoons, chisels, drifting and punching, and hammer faces all get made on the swage block regularly. 

On 12/25/2016 at 0:06 PM, Alan Evans said:

Well I have had mine for 30 years, I will let you know when I finally get around to finding a use for it...

Alan

Well, pop it in the post, and I'll be happy to try it out for you for a while. 

• 2 months later...

Just got my first one so I haven't used it yet but I have used the one at the shop I take classes at and the one of the smaller square hole made a great place to make a flatter.  I tapered one end of a piece of about 1.75 inch diameter round stock to fit into the square hole then after after a good soaking heat myself and my instructor/striker formed a pretty nice flatter about 2.5 inches square. Drifted a hole for the handle then sanded/polished the face and she was ready.  Good experience and i gained a flatter I could be proud of. The funny thing is a few months later I found one with a gnarled stuck end at a tail gate sale for $5.00.