I Forge Iron

Newbie looking for help and advice

Deathcat

Hello everyone I love in the Las Vegas area. I am just looking into this would like to eventually make knives or blades for fun as well as just general metal work. My real question is if anyone know of where to get supplies in the Las Vegas area. 

I was wondering where to maybe get coal or if there is anything else that works good that I can get as well as just some of the basic tools required to start. Also if anyone knows of some good books I was also thinking of making my own forge it would be for outdoor use if anyone knows of a good design. 

Welcome aboard.  Just about any question you can think of as a beginner has been asked and answered multiple times.  Rather than type it all out again we invite you to grab a comfy chair, a cold beverage of your choice, and some snacks and then spend a while reading the copious quantities of info already posted on here.  Since you showed an interest in both solid fuel forges and knife making it would be a good idea to navigate to those sections of the forum and at the very least read through the pinned topics at the top of each.  If you want to search for something on the forum you'll probably have more luck doing a web search, but just include "iforgeiron" as part of your search terms.  The search function on this site isn't the best.   Also, even though you mentioned where you cast a shadow, we encourage people to include their general location in their profile as well.  This is an international forum and the answers to some questions depend on where in the world the asker is located.  We probably won't remember where you are from next week, but if it's in your profile we can see it whenever you post.

After you've taken some time to hit the stickies and pinned topics in your areas of interest, if you still have questions feel free to ask and we'll help out if we can.

All you need is a ball peen hammer, some fire, and something to hammer on. Don't get hung up on having a London pattern anvil, any heavy chunk of steel will work. Some smiths use a large sledge hammer head to work on. I have bought scrap from the local yards in the past for 15 cents a pound, haven't checked recently. Things like large backhoe bucket pins, axles, shafting, forklift forks etc.... can make excellent anvils. 

Just take a tour through all of the various forum sections here and see what might work for you. 

Especially since you are interested in Bladesmithing, a nice block of steel would work great! For lots of professional bladesmiths, there main anvil is simply a solid rectangular (yours doesn't need to be rectangular) block of steel. If you can get something with a little more carbon content then mild steel, such as a forklift tine, axles,  basically everything Biggundoctor mentioned that would be better, although mild steel will work just fine!

Almost forgot, Welcome to the forum.

Littleblacksmith

• 2 weeks later...

When you are using wood you are actually using the coals---the charcoal being produced by the fire.  So look for charcoal forge designs and add extra height to allow for the conversion process.  Me when I use one of my charcoal forges I prefer to have the conversion fire someplace else and just shift the hot coals over.  I built a special shovel to do it with: used a piece of rock screen for the body so I can scoop up a pile, shake it to allow ashes and small bits to stay at the fire pit and just move the hot coals over.

pretty much what TP said. you might also consider digging a charcoal pit. i had one and made all my own charcoal in it before i switched to coal. the best thing about charcoal is how clean it burns. of course coal is king, but charcoal is still prince in my eyes. if you do go with wood, you will want high sides like thomas said, and also a larger than normal forge pot, and a whopin blower.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:28 PM, Tubalcain2 said:

of course coal is king,

Well then, what would that make coke? hmmm ill have to think about that....

Littleblacksmith