I Forge Iron

How to make a wood fueled forge

brandor

Hi I'm new to the forum and I am wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to make a wood fueled forge. I have been working with metal for a little bit but I've been using a steel fire pit for heating the metal but it takes a while to heat up and alot of the heat escapes instead of going into the metal. any advice or tips on building one would be great and I do have a large scrap pile with lots of stuff to use.

Thanks Brandon 

Well the forging doesn't actually use wood, it uses charcoal and most of the wood fired forges are just making the coals as they go.

I MUCH prefer to make the charcoal separately and use that just as has been done for over 2000 years now.  If I need to make it as I go I like a separate raised firepit and just transfer the hot coals over thus not having to deal with as many sparks, smoke, heat, etc.

May I suggest you search on charcoal forge here and elsewhere as it's been covered many many times already.  "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", Weygers shows a couple of examples for instance.  Not knowing what you plan to use it for makes it hard to suggest specifics---do I need a dump truck or a commuter car or a pickup?

One major question is how do you plan to shove air into it?  Charcoal requires a lot slower blast than coal or coke does.

I'm surprised Thomas didn't tell you this, but you might consider adding your location to your profile if you plan to do much on IFI in the future, as it can be helpful in answering some questions.

I was just using the woodburner in my basement to do some heating and beating takes a little while to heat but it works, it's already burning to keep the house warm so why not. 

Definately do some searches tons of info out there

and welcome aboard

Welcome aboard Brandon, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance. A wood fired forge is a different thing than a coal forge but not complicated. As Thomas says you do the heating in the coals rather than the wood fire.

Charles Stevens has written several excellent posts about side draft forges including a box of dirt. A hole in the ground a piece of iron pipe and a blow drier will make a forge suitable to almost anything. It's reducing the wood to charcoal that's really uncomfortable if you do it in the forge fire. As Thomas said one fire to make charcoal and one to forge in works much better.

Frosty The Lucky.