I Forge Iron

Scrappers Fire Set

CTBlades

Well it seems like everyone fabricates a fire set. This is my take on a timeless classic. My bride has wanted me to make one and I thought Xmas was the perfect chance. This 36" tail 4 piece set (poker, broom, shovel and tongs) was made completely from salvaged scrap with a little forge manipulation right down to the 2011 Harley Davidson horn cover that doubled as the shovel. Even the broom was made from one of my old bench brushes that was tossed in a box years ago. The handles are made up of square rod I twisted up for the classic effect (l dig twisting metal lol) and then did some wrapping of round rod for an added flare. The base is a brake rotor and all the rings came from a couple chairs I found at the scrap yard and cannibalized for parts. Even the little glass globe that looks like fire came from a curtain rod my bride through out (yep she's getting it back lol). Painted the whole thing with heat paint and it's done just in time for Xmas.

Speacking of Xmas, I'd like to take a moment to wish all of you fine folks and your families a wonderful holiday season. 

IMG_4194.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

Thank you gents. Yes the chain was fun for sure. What I ended up doing was clamping a str8 edge to my welding table, then laying out the chain along the edge with the opposite link resting on the str8 edge with the opposing link running along the side of the str8 edge then with vise grips locking it down str8 and tight. After that I welded each link to the next one, two welds rack on the back of the chain only to keep it clean. Worked well.

Heres a couple of close ups Kevin O so you can see better. I hit rivited it together and welded in the spacer/ catch at the top.

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_4202.JPG

Aus, heat paint is just 1500 BBQ grill paint.

The weight idea is rather interesting but I'd be afraid of it moving about when trying to weld it. I felt that the best way was to lock it down as tight and as str8 as possible. Using the edge as a lip to rest the chain also ensured that I had each link lined up with every other link. I find that the less I hold and more I can clamp, the better my welds are which still isn't saying much lol!