I Forge Iron

grasshopper wrench

ausfire

Next time consider building the legs etc as a holder, so you can still use the wrench. When done wrenching, just place it on the holder. 

The only thing you would have to change is the location of the antenna. That could be as simple as a bracket to act as a holder or stop for the wrench head.

Nice work.

ANOTHER cool piece Aus. I have to disagree Tubal, this would be a locust from the book of revolutions.

I really like Glenn's idea of a wrench holder, you could even angle the front "feet" so it could be hung as well as stand on the flat. If a guy made one for each wrench imagine the look on people's faces if they opened his tool box. :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

Beech: Yes, the upper back legs are files rounded off a bit in the forge. The lower legs are bits of 10mm threaded rod flattened in the forge to give the spiky appearance.

Glenn, Frosty: They could be made to work, but this particular wrench was not in very good shape. I have done a couple of shifty lizards made from shifting spanners (adjustable wrenches in Am. E) that still open and close. When you need to undo a bolt you can say "Hand me that lizard". 

Das: I thought of painting it green, but the original red makes him look a bit fierce. I have a heap of these in the scrap too - maybe one of your tyrannosauruses next.

21 hours ago, CTBlades said:

Aus that is awesome. I really like the use of the files on the rear legs. I could be wrong but judging by the rebar front legs he has to be huge! Like the colors btw!

Thanks CT. Yes, it's pretty big. The wrench is a 15 inch Fuller. The antennae are handles from a pair of pliers which gives some idea of the scale too.

It sits majestically on a log in our friend's newly-built orchid house now.

Since I gave the last one away, I thought I would better make another. Two wrenches used - one with a broken shaft and good jaws, the other with worn out jaws and complete shaft. One from two. Found an interesting way of getting the ridged lower back legs. Das will know what they are.

wrench1.JPG

wrench2.JPG

Aus that one turned out great. The way you got the files looking for the thick part of the legs is perfect! The ridged lower back legs look like straightened flywheel outer ring gear. Yes? And they work perfectly as well. Are those the stainless plugs you showed in "it followed me home" for the eyes? :) 

Correct, Aric! The legs are bits of ring gear straightened in the forge. The upper legs are two halves of a file, tapered a little in the forge. The eyes are stainless steel punchings from a metal fabrication shop ... they toss them all in a box for me and they appear on my gatepost regularly. Same place where the ss discs came from.

I had thought of painting this guy green, but I think I prefer the metallic look.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:52 AM, Daswulf said:

He looks great as is. 

Now I'm really itching to make some of those guys. But a drill chuck showed up in a box of goodies last night and a mosquito may be first. 

I've posted this a while ago, but here's another look. I call him my Big Gun mosquito ... the mouthparts say why. The drill chuck should work well. Looking forward to seeing it.

mozzie1.jpg

15 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I love him Aus!  The double barrel shotgun parts work great at the head. I'll get on it after Newyears. By the way Happy New Year to Australia :) 

And a happy new year to you and the U.S.