I Forge Iron

Need to make a marker's mark..

Mars

Hey this is asking a lot but does anyone here have ideas for a maker's mark?

My initials are R.R.S and I live on a ranch called the banner Queen... Iv been thinking about one for months and I can't come up with anything. This is probably one of those things where I should come up with it myself but maybe someone here will have a great idea.

~Mars

Keep it really simple. My initials are YC.

P1070075.jpg

I underline the logo it with a square dot, no reason other than I like it. On important commissions, I use the logo and with small punches I add my full name with the year and the mention "fecit".

Just search on Cattle Brand Registry and a lot of states will show one.  Getting a copy of the old brand books is harder these days; I've only seen a couple in person and nobody was turning them loose.

Hmm abebooks,com has the reprint of the "Brand book, containing the brands of the Bent County cattle and horse growers' association for the year of 1885" pretty cheap.

Registered trade marks that cease to be used can be expunged from the trade marks registry. Anyone can file such an expungement application with the trade marks office. The trade marks office will then send a status request to the owner. They must provide proof of use. Inadequate proof, or non response will eventually result in the office removing the trade mark from the record. Trade marks are not a state jurisdiction. The constitution assigns trade marks authority to the federal government. Registered trade marks appear in the trade marks registry. That registry is open for viewing and searching by the public. There may very well be a separate registry for specialty marks. But I am not an expert in U. S. trade mark law, and do not know. An example of such a separate registry, in Canada, is the registry for pharmaceutical pills and capsules. Each of these, is unique as to shape, color, and marking in order to allow medical and pharmacy personnel to identify an unknown pill. There are other such registries. (silver hallmarks is another example). But those secondary registries, also, can be searched at the trade marks office web site.

SLAG.

3 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning,

What is your cattle brand?

How about the 2 R's back to back (share the same verticle line) with a lazy s, lying across the top.

just my $0.02

Neil

I might try that two Rs and a lazy S...

And we don't run cattle anymore but my great grandfather's and grandfather's brand is for a different names. But my great grandfather was the main blacksmith in my family so maybe I'll go with his brand to respect him.

I'll send some pics in the morning thanks for all the replies.

~Rusty aka Mars