I Forge Iron

A piano peg echidna

ausfire

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, Marc1 said:

$150 a gallon. No need to by 44 gallons.

We need 44 gallons when we have twenty bulldozers and over forty vintage tractors to cover Marc! That's before we start on about sixty trucks and cars. A 44 drum doesn't last that long. And then there's the farm machinery.

9 hours ago, ausfire said:

We need 44 gallons when we have twenty bulldozers and over forty vintage tractors to cover Marc! That's before we start on about sixty trucks and cars. A 44 drum doesn't last that long. And then there's the farm machinery.

I am sure you do ausfire. I was answering someone else's comment on it's price 

That is a lot of machinery to cover!

20 hours ago, ausfire said:

Sheesh Ausfire, my wife gives me gears over 2 itsy bitsy lil ol bobcats and a mini digger that I don't really need but don't want to sell never mind 120 odd "toys" what's the secret?:wub:

5 hours ago, ianinsa said:

Sheesh Ausfire, my wife gives me gears over 2 itsy bitsy lil ol bobcats and a mini digger that I don't really need but don't want to sell never mind 120 odd "toys" what's the secret?:wub:

Well, we run a historic village here (where my forge is)  and our collection of such things is extensive. We have a lot of vintage machinery - tractors, bulldozers, steam engines, stationary engines, farm machinery, trucks etc. A lot of them are in the open, so we do the best we can to preserve them by using Rustmasters to stop them deteriorating further. Some we have restored, like a lovely old 7-ton Ruston diesel which we operate daily, and our restorer has almost finished a very rare (in Australia) 1933 American Continental Flyer to concourse condition. But so many of our vehicles and machinery will never see complete restoration, so hence the Rustmasters.

Our complex can be see at http://historicvillageherberton.com.au/  but there is not much about our old machinery there, as it's not in the forefront of tourist interest.

9 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Do you care to elaborate over the 120 odd toys? 

Marc , I was referring to the bulldozers, tractors, steam engines etc. Ect. That Ausfire was referring to.  Alas my shop and outbuildings are only about 550sqm fortunatly they are full of smithing equipment.winch my wife albeit sometimes reluctantly accepts Grin. 

@Ausfire, boy that's quite a setup you have there, just the place for a smithy, is there a local blacksmith? :P

13 hours ago, ianinsa said:

@Ausfire, boy that's quite a setup you have there, just the place for a smithy, is there a local blacksmith? :P

Ha Ha! Ian, I have been going non-stop on demos these past couple of days. Boxing Day is one of our busiest tourist days, and the days between now and new year will be full-on. My main problem is that I need a relief smith when I feel like a break! And as curator of the Village, I have other things to do as well. Come visit and entertain the crowds!

9 hours ago, CTBlades said:

Aus, we need eye candy, show us your playground(s)!!! Please!!!!

Well, I have thousands of pictures of the place of course. The best way to get an idea is to visit our website (URL previous post) and have a look at some of the videos. Here's a picture of my forge where I do my demos for visitors. And another of one of our many lines of old tractors requiring Rustmasters protection.

stamp3.jpg

DSC_5023.jpg

Well Asus, your pictures are always appreciated, so much to see when enlarged and always appreciated. I treat them like where's Wally pictures "the more you look the more you see" like your Ute in previous pictures of your BBQ :D etc. This time of year must really be hot so I bet your body takes a hammering too?  well treat youdelf to an extra mince pie and have fun, post more pictures of junk piles etc. Please.

Ian, I could post many pictures of the place, but I fear that they would be off topic and admin may not appreciate the using up of bandwidth. Our main junk pile here at the Village has now been cleared and a house is being built on site. I saved a lot of the easily movable stuff, but many many tons has gone to the scrap dealer (for free I might add).

And yes, very hot here at present as we await the summer storms. I quit forging about midday - just too hot after then.

The two pics below are taken from the same spot. The scrap pile had to go to make room for the house. I guess I could post more in "Everything Else" . What would you like to see?

DSC_5145.jpg

DSC_7078.JPG

Great looking scrap pile!:D

BTW. Don't you guys use isoboard or similar under the corrugated sheets?

A us, has there been historic mining in your area? Sorry I'm somewhat ignorant wrt. Australia (I suppose not just Australia, before somebody points it out):D

CT I agree, just that shipping would be a killer.  

I'll just keep scrounging what i can little by little.  Sometimes I wonder if the WWII scrap metal drives gobbled up most of the good Old scrap here in the U.S.  

Aus, you know we love scrap pictures :D how could they Ever be off topic? 

3 hours ago, ianinsa said:

Roof construction in Oz makes me cringe. The best you can hope is a bit of sarking under those sheets. Insulation is always an afterthought. You should see fancy city houses with BLACK tiles. :(

9 hours ago, ianinsa said:

Great looking scrap pile!:D

Aus, has there been historic mining in your area? Sorry I'm somewhat ignorant wrt. Australia (I suppose not just Australia, before somebody points it out):D

Ian, yes, you need some sort of insulation under corrugated iron in this climate, otherwise you would cook. There is thermal blanket insulation under the finished part of the roof. The builders are using old iron on the roof and old telephone poles for the deck structure in keeping with the historic nature of the Village setting. The house itself is out of bounds to visitors, but it can be seen from our tractor displays and sawmill.

And yes again, our town is the oldest in the area, being founded in 1880 after the discovery of lode tin. There are still many abandoned mines dotted around the hills. Our historic village complex is a recreation of those times, so my blacksmith shop was an essential part. The forge is built after the style the old miners used - rock and ant bed.