I Forge Iron

Beginner with questions and pictures

hah yea. If I had any neighbors around. The nearest one is about a mile down the hill. I can hammer all day and all night, nobody would care about it.

I don't have much of a work space or anywhere covered that I can do this in until I sell one of my bikes. I'll likely end up keeping my tools under the lid when I'm not using it so they don't get rained or snowed on.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up an exhaust flapper and a sack of coal from TSC this afternoon, put the flapper on when I got home from work. They were out of the flapper size I needed so I went up 1/4" and I had to tighten it all the way because it's a little oversized but it's secure on there.

As far getting the forge in working order that leaves me with setting up a fan and cutting a section of tree trunk to mount my anvil to. There's a few minor things here and there like dropping some bolts with big washers through the sheet metal to stop it from curling up the way it does, replacing missing bolts in the body of the grill.... Speaking of the fan though, that 3 speed motor I have spins clockwise and can't be reversed. I may end up getting a rheostat and sticking it to one of the radiator fans... donno. I could probably have it ready to work on by the weekend but it's supposed to be pretty rainy so I may just let my laziness out for a little while.

Just made a drive like a tire hammer, one rubber wheel on the shaft of the blower another on the shaft of the motor. Viola direction reversed!

A little tweaking to get a available flap cap to fit is normal. I beat the odds by building my tuyere from truck exhaust pipe so the flappers were made for it.

Have you considered ramming a layer of damp clayey sandy soil on the table level with the disk? It'll disperse the heat and minimize warpage. Maybe not enough but it might work.

She's looking good. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm sure it could work but I would rather not have a system set up to reverse the rotation. I'll either end up using the radiator fan or getting a different motor from my cousin. The good thing about using a radiator fan is if it ever burns out, I've got a dumpster full of stuff to replace it with.

2 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Use an old hair drier, they usually have multiple speeds and may fit in the pipe you have.

If I had one laying around I would, as a temporary fix though. I never cared for the way they looked on a forge.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Florida for a little while to see my grandparents, came home with a nice little fan that my grandmother used in her days at Honeywell before my time. I'd like to see any fan made today last that long... anyway it fit an 8" pipe like a glove so I snagged a couple things from Lowes after work last night and got it set up. It's an 8-6 reducer and a 4-3 reducer, the 6-4 was another $8 so I skipped that, cut the 4 side of the 4-3 into fins and bent them to cradle the 6 and taped it up with some polish chrome. I drilled a couple holes in the end to ziptie the fan to it. It worked kinda alright but it was blowing more air backward than forward, I ran a some tape around the duct and overlapped the fan cage to see if that would help trap some of the escaping air and I was right on the money. I might only be losing about 10-20% of the air now but it blows plenty hard enough. If I ever want that last little bit I'll come up with a new design, or a stronger fan.

I'm pretty sure the reducers are galvanized but I'm certain it's far enough away from the heat source to not be a problem for me, and the fan will be going so it should stay cool.

IMG_20170110_154908273.jpgIMG_20170110_154918035_HDR.jpgIMG_20170110_154938892.jpg

Like has probably been said already (there is alot of good opinions here). For an anvil; it only has to be harder than the stuff your working and the hammer your hitting it with; Railtrack is perfect since it generally work hardens. Forklift tine is another good thing to have about (luckily I work in a warehouse so it's plentiful). Hammers look fine and the brake drum is fine imo; you can draw enough air through a bunch of bricks to make a forge.