I Forge Iron

Hardening my rail anvil

Details please on the size, weight, type of rail, etc. Do you plan on using the rail flat like it appears on the tracks, or on end do the mass of the rail is under the hammer?

What type of hardening do you want to accomplish?

A chunk of rail like that for that purpose (for most purposes, actually) will do best stood on end, and hardening may not be necessary. The key point is this: what you need is rebound, and rebound comes from the depth of the steel under the hammer, not from hardness.

There are some great threads on IFI about rail anvils and stands for them; I strongly suggest that you take some time to read over them at your leisure.

23 minutes ago, Azazil said:

Thank you I was trying to just find an anvil but I live in city and I guess there aren't many in Midland mi

Not trying to derail you, since rail could be a fine anvil, but have you looked into metal fab shops or machine shops in the area? Many times they can have blocks or rounds of good steel that could be great anvils. Also search and read up TPAAAT

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/3602-thomas-powers-applied-anvil-acquisition-technique/

Other then that use what you have for now and get hammering. 

• 1 month later...

Azazil do a google search for Max Carey Blacksmith Guild.  They are a great bunch of guys and gals located in Midland, Michigan.  They are a blacksmith club that meets weekly and they have "open forge" for members.  There are several "anvil finders" amongst them and you will have no problem finding anything you need.