I Forge Iron

Fixing a loose head?

lanternnate

Hofi uses Sikaflex 11FC because that's what he could get at the time when he started using it in Israel.

This stuff is not a glue, but a sealant. It typically costs <7€/cartridge. If you can find a high strength polyurethane sealant that has a shore hardness of 37 or higher, break elongation ~700% and is marketed as elastic or vibration dampening, chances are it will work similarly well.

It looks like this may have turned into a re-handling project. My attempt at getting this one fitting right was a failure. I thought I had it good, but then today when using it this happened. Frosty, got any pics/measurements of those slab handles you talk of for someone to try to copy off of?

IMG_20161211_191018908.jpg

Thanks for re-posting the pic J.

For reference it's leaning against a 6" x 6" post so figure it's 5 1/2" wide. I have a template somewhere in the shop rather than measurements. The board is 5/4" straight grain clear hickory from a hardwood supply locally. That hammer handle hasnt looked that clean in years, it was pretty much brand new in the pic. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

I have removed all wedges out of my hammerhandles and now they are glued in the heads with "sikaflex 11 fc" , the same stuff that Mr.Hofi used. Must say, it works pretty well now for 5 years. when the 11 fc is hardened, the handles are rasped, sanded and burnt black with torchflame. At last a little coating with "WD .." to prevent the bad insects - wood worms - .

That´s my way.

Greetings from germany

Peter