I Forge Iron

mlinn77

Hi, I picked up this Yost vise it's 6" opens to 10" I got everything working has a broken mounting bracket. I've heard of Yost I can't find anything on dating or on this model # it's a 78, and I was curious on what that knob on the back is for looks like some sort of gig  hooks to it. Any info would be appreciated thank you.

IMG_20161205_162333.jpg

IMG_20161205_162356.jpg

IMG_20161205_162401.jpg

7 hours ago, aessinus said:

Less than $2/lb for the pair?  Great score

14 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

in the sense that they are jaws...? i see no resemblance other than that.:unsure:

I noticed that too, the jaws have a design and flow to them like a post vise

On 12/5/2016 at 5:18 PM, Jim Coke said:

Greetings 77,

The pin on the top should come out to allow the rear section to pivot. Great vise for uneven gripping. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Do you know if that pin is spring loaded, or how it doesn't come out with you pull it, it's really suck I'm trying to look at my options on how to move it. It's soaking in penetrating oil now.

On my Prentice swivel jaw vices the pin is tapered and is held in by the taper fit. I imagine it is similar with your Yost.

The one I've removed the pin on my father carefully pressed out the pin from underneath using his shop press. I was worried it was going to break. Drilling it out would have been a safer option. I had the machinist where I work turn me up a new pin with a bigger head and a hole going thru it perpendicular to the axis of the pin for easier removal.

There not as stout as a fixed jaw vice of the same size, I've seen pictures of several with the back jack welded/brazed back on.

Heat the body and chill the pin?  Hopefully not an excessive amount either way... Out here we would leave it in the sun during the day in the summer  and then try an icecube for about 100 deg F differential.  Putting it in the kitchen oven set on low has also been done if one is un partnered or has no fear of pain and death!   Make sure there is a drip pan underneath it to catch any grease or oil residue...

On 12/16/2016 at 10:31 PM, John McPherson said:

Mine says Yost I don't see any Yost like it but it looks a lot like those Prentiss vises, looks like it can be very handy

please stop reposting obvious, the large pics waste bandwidth, and most of our members pay ber Kb  not per month, and its wasting my time having to delete them