I Forge Iron

I wanted to make a spring flatter for a class I'm in but I didn't have thick plates of high carbon steel to make the striking plates. I decided to take  two pieces of mild plate steel that were 2"x2"x1/2" and weld four pieces of auto leaf spring pieces that were 2"x2"x1/4" on the top and bottom with a MIG welder,I welded all around the edges essentially making a steel sandwich with the leaf spring as bread and the mild as the meat. What would be the best method of heat treating so that all three of the different metals used in the construction can stay stuck together and survive the hammer blows? 

Goodness, it's really hard to make suggestions without having taken a gander first, post some pics?

At first read I'm not sure what you did or your reasoning. For a simple flatter you can just bend a piece of leaf spring in a large hair pin, polish the contact surfaces and put it to work. Seriously the spring in a spring tool can be mild steel it isn't working against more resistance than the weight of the struck die.

For struck (top) tools in general you want the working surface hardened and the struck (hammer side) drawn pretty soft to avoid chipping. so if I'm reading your description correctly you have mild as the working surface and medium carbon steel for the struck surface. That's backwards from my experience. Sure a flatter is less sensitive than most top tools but it never hurts to observe the basic rules, especially about NOT hardening the hammer side of a top tool.

Frosty The Lucky.