I Forge Iron

The evolution of tool making!

Mark Ling

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/4/2016 at 8:26 PM, littleblacksmith said:

. I don't have a phone, and I don't want a phone. My parents want me to get one, but I don't want to fall into the dark side...and be one of ....those people. I'm going to cut myself of there, before I go on a rant.;)

Littleblacksmith

i know what you mean. we are in the same boat,brother.

I'd have to agree about the whole phone thing....  Technology to me is tools not toys, at least not primarily (well, except for graphing calculators, cause I like math).  I guess IFI counts as having fun, but not exactly as a toy.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:34 PM, Shawn S said:

Well Littleblacksmith maybe I could strike for you one day,  I live in Buffalo about an hour away.

Id love to have you strike for me! or me strike for you! give me a heads up and come over some time!

4 hours ago, beech said:

I guess IFI counts as having fun, but not exactly as a toy.

Yeah, IFI, Gmail, Google, and YouTube, are the only places I visit on the computer, but are all fore mostly to learn, but I enjoy learning about forging, ect., soooo..... not sure what that counts as.

4 hours ago, beech said:

well, except for graphing calculators, cause I like math

Ewww! I'll do math if I have to (which I do constantly) but not for fun! I don't know that I can talk to you anymore<_<! maybe I don't like it just 'cause I suck at it....:unsure:

Littleblacksmith

I agree on the phone thing, I have a flip phone to use on the road as does my wife but there is no service in our valley. (I carry a 2 way radio on the farm ) I loved it when my wife's grandkids came recently they had been warned about the lack of service but they surprised me with "you have WiFi right it will work on that"  Oh gee I said the Wifi went down yesterday and I called the phone company in Maine can't come out till tues.  They were leaving Mon. They lived through the experience and enjoyed themselves, I think, they have asked to come back minus their parents.  They are till young enough to believe us when we say Oh we don't have that in Vermont yet.  Their parents were relieved to see indoor plumbing. 

My grandkids can't let the stupid things out of their hands, when my daughter suggested sending them east for a couple weeks in the summer I said sure the electronics stay with you.   Oh they will not like that I was told but I said "we will".  As they say nothing has firmed up on that yet. love the kids but I don't play second fiddle to electronic toys. 

Thinking about making some decals "ELECTRONIC FREE ZONE"  "LEAVE IN YOUR LAUGGAGE, CAR OR AT HOME"  I wonder what we could make out of them in the  forge and on the anvil?

11 hours ago, notownkid said:

I wonder what we could make out of them in the  forge and on the anvil?

A better world.

Littleblacksmith

9 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

A better world.

Got that right!  Just got in from an unscheduled overnight trip to Conn. and the first thing I did when we arrived in the yard (at 0F) was shut my cell phone OFF.  I will not text if someone wants to tell me something they can talk direct to me or forget it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Almost forgot. Back in December I went over to Cleburne Tx to a friend of mines forge. If any of ya'll are wondering, his name is Matt Marti, he posted a hammer he made recently in the hammer section of the forum.

We made a top fuller, and two hammer eye punches. Afterwards he gave me a set hammer he had made, and a bunch of belt sander 2x72 40 and 60 grit belts that were too old to use on his belt sander and would keep popping. I will be using them for hand sanding mostly, as I don't have a belt sander;) How we did it was that he directed one hammer eye punch, while I struck, and then I directed and his friend struck for me. So, he would show me a step, and then I would do that step. We could have done it a lot quicker if we weren't constantly switching back and forth with the hammer eye punch we were working on, and if he was just directing me, and not teaching me. But, I'm glad we took our time, and that I got the chance to direct, as I learned a TON!

Here is some pictures from that day.

This was us cutting a billet for a hammer eye punch.

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Flattening the hammer eye punch billet-

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoorImage may contain: one or more people, people sitting, people standing and outdoor

and the result of our day. It wasn't as long of a day as i was wanting, because it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from her to there. Was from about 10 in the morning to about 6 in the evening. I know the handles look like they are varnished, but they aren't, its just oil.

Image may contain: outdoorImage may contain: outdoor

Littleblacksmith

Thanks!

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, Jimmyiorn said:

Very nice LB, do you remember what size stock you used for each piece

Thank you! The hammer eye punches were forged from 1" round 4140, flattened to capsule shape and punched on the narrower side.

For the fuller I cant remember what stock size It was,  I want to say it was 1 3/4" round. But I do remember that we didn't take the right proportions! We ended up having to take a few heats and upset it. Then we didn't punch it quite were we were supposed to, and so we didn't have as much steel as we wanted for the business end of the tool, ended up having to do a bit of design change and use a set hammer to do that set down. Normally you don't have the set down, but just a taper down to the "blade". The fullers are meant to be about 1/2" thickness.  It still works great, and It has a very large striking end, which just means a longer life for the tool!

Littleblacksmith

I made myself a new pair of hammer making tongs out of 7/8" coil spring=a lot of drawing out!

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5627[1].JPG

IMG_5628[1].JPG

IMG_5629[1].JPG

Will do! Forged this little guy out of 1 1/4 round axle. Flattened it to a capsule shape and punched on the high side. Reason I did that was to hace more material for the cheeks. It was all done with a  hand hammer. Hardened in water and tempered with a drift. The handle was made from an old axe handle using a rasp. I wasn't even planning on forging a hammer, but I had just finished punching and drifting a 14"x9" 1/2" thick plate to about 1 1/2" size hole for my striking anvil, and so I wanted to take advantage of the size of my fire. It weights about 14 Oz. Don't know what I'll use it for because I almost never use a hammer that light except when I am adding some "shape and life" to leafs using a block of wood as a swage. But when I do that I use a ball pein hammer. 

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5614[1].JPG

IMG_5615[1].JPG

IMG_5616[1].JPG

IMG_5617[1].JPG

The striking anvil is finished! Had my brother welded it up today. Before we welded the legs on we filled them with sand to help deaden the sound, and it will add a little weight. Tomorrow I'm planning on making a bottom fuller and a cupping tool. After that I will be able to Make rounding hammers! well, (as my dad stares over me reading this) I still need a striker....Dad?...

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5632[1].JPG

IMG_5633[1].JPG

IMG_5634[1].JPG

IMG_5635[1].JPG

Forgot to mention, later tonight my brother is going to finish welding all the way around the striking anvil, because as you can see in the pictures it is not. Before we welded it I went ahead and took my hammer and chamfered the edge to give a place for the bead to be placed.