I Forge Iron

Upsetting Vise

caintuckrifle

If you take a look at drilling tools check out "rod dogs" and "slips". Rod dogs are a cam and bale on an arm. The bale slips over the rod and when you let it drop onto the rod the weight of the string locks it in place, they do NOT slip.

Slips are a different type of rod holder, the kind you see on oil rigs. The top of the casing has a collar to protect it and provide a tapered interior. The slips are usually 2 or 3 wedge shaped blocks the side that contacts the drill rod is matched with pipe wrench-like "teeth". The outside is tapered to match the collar. When you want the rod to stop going down you drop the slips in the collar. The weight of the string drives the slips into the tapered collar and the slips pinch the rod. These don't move either, the top of the casing will crush or the rod will break first.

Using the slip pattern it'd be pretty easy to make an upsetting vise. Make a tapered box and rectangular slips from heavy stock, all  made suitable for being hammered on. Mount the slips on a lever attached to a foot treadle and there you are. Drop the work between the slips and let off the treadle you can hammer all you want and it isn't going anywhere. When finished step or maybe stomp on the treadle to release it.

You can do similar with a cam as well but that's harder to describe via text and get a reasonably clear picture across.

Frosty The Lucky.

You might want to do an image search on "calking vice".  Although designed primarily for shoeing operations, they also came with jaws and a moveable block for upsetting and heading. One could probably do a welded build-up to emulate the nature of the old cast iron version.  You might even be able to find one that hasn't been hit with the price gouging that post vices have seen lately.  

If nothing else, it might give you ideas.

Greetings,

The Green River Three has an adjustable stop and guide blocks which are also used for bolt heading. It works well for upsetting a long bar.    Other foot caulking vises like the Wells have adjustable stops but the stock must be pinched in the vise. Somewhat cumbersome balancing on one foot. I have both and prefer the Green River. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

IMG_0564.JPG

As usual it depends what you are wanting to upset and how many you envisage doing.

I have never had to do enough to warrant a specific vice. For small section up to 25mm (1") I found the most efficient way was to hold the piece horizontally in the smooth jawed leg vice and heat with the oxy-acetylene rose bud which controlled the upset very precisely...no energy and time wasted straightening up.

The largest section I have upset was 100mm (4") square and those were suspended on two cranes and swung like a battering ram against the face of the 3cwt hammer  anvil.

Horses for courses.

If you laid a leg vice on the bench and hung the jaws over the edge it would make a very simple upsetting clamp if you wanted to swing vertically.

A bespoke upsetting vice seems like a lot of investment for not much advantage over "making do" and still you are limited to hand power. If you are envisaging batch processing a lot of upsets commercially I would be looking at a powered system. Either under a power hammer or hydraulic press.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny I just stumbled onto this thread.. 

I missed an opportunity back in the 90's to get a vintage turn of the century commercially made bolt makers vise..   it was designed a lot like the Arizona plans shown..  It was foot operated and the dies sat in a rectangular slot..  One side held in position with a set screw the other side had a yolk like function for the return and a solid pusher block behind for closing..   The dies were held up by a 2 leg arrangement.. Both sides were solidly mounted in place on a common U arrangement..  

In operation you would drop the rod down the throat of the dies and it would hit a height adjustable stop, then you would clamp down on the foot lever, upset the head and when you removed pressure off the foot lever it would return the foot lever to it's  upward position via a spring and the newly formed bolt would drop to the floor.. 

There must have been around 4 or 5" of travel between the dies.. and the dies went to about 1.5" round..  all the dies were there in excellent used condition as was a hand operated threading machine..  Huge hand cranked affair with gear drive and floating die holder.. 

There was also screw making dies at this same place.. I had gone there once and noticed the machines sitting in an old barn.. before cell phones with cameras and GPS being handy..  Sadly I was there as a new apprentice and when I asked my boss to ask the people if they wanted to sell it, He told me to go jump in a lake..   

A few months later I went back to find the place to ask on my own and the barn that had the equipment in it was gone..  Had been destroyed to make room for another barn.. 

• 1 month later...