I Forge Iron

Tuyere plans

caintuckrifle

I picked up two axle covers from a Banjo rear end that had been converted to  jackstands at the fleamarket for US$3  IIRC. Been using the first one for 30 years so far and have the second one in reserve in case I outlive the first.  I'd engineer the tuyere and clinker breaker to suit yourself and your work and your fuel.  I used to get coal with so little clinker in it that I never used to need a clinker breaker.  The cool down at lunch and dinner would allow remove with no problem.  I've also used coal that about every 15 minutes you needed to use the clinker breaker and re do the fire every hour or so.

• 1 month later...

1st, where'd you get that photo from ? looks to be an online book 

2nd, I may have the correct tuyere breaker combo for that.  Do you have a photo of what you need ?

I've been on the lookout for the downdraft version of that forge as seen below, but yours is practically the same and what I have is possibly for that setup.

IMG_20151201_162633332_HDR.jpg

the part I have is in the middle with the hand crank blower attached (not supposed to be) blower.jpg

Here's the post regarding it and what I'm working on...  

• 3 months later...

I have the pan and pedestal to a down draft model. I am also missing the tuyere and clinker breaker as well as the hood. I would like to find some decent sketches of these parts if there are any out there. I have a bunch of Buffalo literature that was online, but it is all pretty vauge on the parts I need. Any idea how the down draft hood would work without creating a fire hazard?

20170303_173322.jpg

It had a separate fan set up to suck the smoke down into the exhaust tube.

I have a different model, 4 legs no pedestal. and it was missing the hood and the previous owner used the front hood from an old Volkswagon Beetle to replace it.

I've also seen one that used a hand crank to run *2* blowers, one for the fire and one for the exhaust.

Just looked through my copy of "The American Prison: from the beginning...A Pictorial History" to see if any of the prison blacksmith shops used the downdraft system.  Nope though one in Connecticut had a nice Champion power hammer in it....

ISTR a picture of a line of them at a College, Stanford?  Have to try to dig out that book  Hmm page 12 (16 of the PDF) of "Elementary Forge Practice" has a picture of a down draft forge on it