I Forge Iron

Tuned up my 109lb Peter Wright today

My recently found 208 pound Peter Wright. 

Bought on ebay of all places.

Comes with a story. The seller lives in a very affluent suburb in a multi million dollar house, and does not seem to be a blacksmith. Checked the anvil out and asked him how he came by the anvil. The guy tells me that when he was 18 (he is now about 60) a friend of the family a very old person, came to him asking him to "get rid of this anvil for me".

He put it in the family home garage, and covered it with a tarp and it layed there for 40 years. 

I didn't ask anything further. The price was right (for Australia that is) and the anvil is almost perfect but for a small chip. 

IMG_2147.JPG

Yes it should be worth more!  

Here in the states where anvil prices are sometimes quoted in US$ per pound, knowing which anvils are stamped in CWT and which are stamped in Pounds can make a big difference as some folks are trying to sell you weights based on reading the US weight as CWT weight.  Example a 222 pound Columbian and they tell you it's really 282 pounds---could be US$100 overpriced!   On the other hand some folks assume that the weight stamp is in pounds when really it's in CWT so a 2 2 2 anvil is sold *under* priced.

58 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

You are right, my bad, 232 lb, 105 kilos.

That means I have 24 lb more so it should be worth some more?

Only kidding.:D

That is one b@d @$$ anvil!

2 hours ago, Marc1 said:

My recently found 208 pound Peter Wright. 

Bought on ebay of all places.

Comes with a story. The seller lives in a very affluent suburb in a multi million dollar house, and does not seem to be a blacksmith. Checked the anvil out and asked him how he came by the anvil. The guy tells me that when he was 18 (he is now about 60) a friend of the family a very old person, came to him asking him to "get rid of this anvil for me".

He put it in the family home garage, and covered it with a tarp and it layed there for 40 years. 

I didn't ask anything further. The price was right (for Australia that is) and the anvil is almost perfect but for a small chip. 

IMG_2147.JPG

How much did you get this baby for?