I Forge Iron

My striking anvil coming together

Rather traditional for heating large items cheaply.  You already have the rods attached for moving it, I'd suggest digging a trench forge in the back yard to do the final "all the way up to temp" step.  I've used an old shop vacuum blowing into a chunk of black iron pipe with *lots* of holes drilled along the top 1/3 of the length.  Controlled the airflow by how coaxial the pipe and the shop vac hose were with an air gap between their ends.

I used the same Bosch T118A's (HSS) that I use for sheet metal.  Looks like they are rated for steel up to 1/8" thick.

I may have been pushing the boundaries a bit with 1" plate... ;)  But hey- they got the job done!

IMG_5492.JPG

An old tired blade (missing a few teeth) got me about 3/4 of the way done before snapping.  A new fresh blade finished the job.  Oh, and I used a good dose of cutting oil.  

Also: as you can probably tell, I drilled the corners first, and used a cut-off wheel in a grinder from both sides to get me started.  So the jigsaw didin't have to work through the entire 1" of thickness for much of the cutting.

Well, I feel bad for you, but I would have (for the base plate that the striking anvil will be welded to) torch cut a hole with a O/A  torch seems like it would have been much easier, but that depends on your resources I guess. The hole in the base plate doesn't have to perfect or neat, as the hardies wont be making contact with it, but instead with the striking anvil. Also I would recommend tapering the end of the drift some so that it will go all the way through the anvil and when it gets to the end it will just fall out.

I am currently working on a striking anvil, made from 2 3/4"x5" by a foot long, and will be interested in seeing how yours turns out. I have been told that for the legs to not have them at more than a 10 degree angle, as they begin to flex.

Here is a video by Alec Steele from a while back, may help a bit. I heard him mention, that when drifting the hardy hole to stop and remove the drift  when it gets black around the hole to let the heat wick back into it, or else it will bend up. Doesn't sound like fun straightening out a hunk of steel that large!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bLHkpnKYE

and another more recent one he made, a more informational video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jFtCjZHVM

Littleblacksmith

Thanks for the links LBS.  Those two videos are actually what prompted me to start this project.  Hope to finish it this week.  (fingers crossed...)

for the record:  I cut the angle of my legs at 6 degrees, which seems pretty good.

I'll let ya know how the drifting goes!

-Jeremy

Hey Thomas- I'm going to take your advice on the pit forge.

You guys think this will suffice?  Should I make the sides steeper?

I think if I start with wood, and then load it up with enough coal, it should do the job...

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

Success!  Wow.  I can hardly believe that worked.  From stone cold to done in 1 hour, 45 minutes.

I preheated with an oak fire, then slowly added coal.  I used a bath exhaust fan at first, but it didn't move enough air.  Switching to my shop vac did the trick.

The handling rods turned into hot noodles, so I doused them with water to firm them up before handling.

If I could have gotten it hotter (and I was more in practice with the sledge), I believe this could have been done with 1 heat.  But I took it slow and careful- let's call it 'two and a half' heats.  

I'm pleased.  Thanks for the advice folks...

-Jeremy

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

Man, now I wish I hadn't sent mine to a fabricator to have it milled (even though it was free) out so I could try this! Looks like ya'll had fun!

Littleblacksmith

1:25- I saw that one coming! Great to see that ya'll had fun AND accomplished something!

Littleblacksmith