I Forge Iron

Are expensive hammers really better?

Glenn

Wow. Imagine how that guy is going to be walking in 20 years. I've sometimes heard similar described as a walking question mark....in this case maybe more like the & character.

Ouch.  Tough way to earn your bowl of gruel.

On a positive note, I bet the boss doesn't rip him a new one for leaving tools in the rain :) 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the interesting facts about having a stone anvil is stone is naturally an insulator NOT a conductor.  Your heated metal would tend to stay heated longer.  I want one! 

So... What sort of stone would be a good anvil?  My other hobby is doing lapidary work and I have a 20 inch lapidary saw capable of making pretty large cuts.  Llanite would be good. Or a fine grained granite.   Any sort of volcanic basalt that is tough would work.  Diabase/dolerite would work.  I am sure there are other tough stones that would make a suitable anvil.  

One made from alumina ceramic would be awesome. That stuff is tougher than all get out!