I Forge Iron

New Columbian ~7" Post Vice

ede

I recently acquired a post vise.  It's obviously a Columbian and almost 7" at the jaw.  Over all it appears to be in good shape including the acme threads.  I did notice that the pivot bracket had been stick welded at one time to the back of the post, but the spring action is good on it.  Also, the beginning of the screw box has a small tear at the beginning.  The tear doesn't appear to go very far and I'm thinking it won't affect the operation.  Would it be worthwhile repairing this?  

Underneath the mounting bracket it is stamped X 4--which if I recall, Columbian like to use roman numerals so this may be a model 14?

What follows is my measurements, an old advertisement with their measurements, and some photos of my new baby: 

Weight: 134#
width of jaws  6 3/4"
opens ~7"

The weight is short 17 pounds from 150 in the advertisement as well as ~1/4 on the jaws.  Their is a slight misalignment at the jaws but they close up nice and tight.   

The vice itself was attached to a folded steel plate which had been lagged over a  13"x13" creosote railroad tie which was purportedly buried 4' deep in the ground--see picture below.  Also, it was fastened with a u-bolt that went through the railroad tie.  I heard from the guy that had to dig it out, that it took several hours to do so!  I wish I could of snagged that as well, but until I have my shop setup, space is at a premium. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 5.05.53 PM.png

20161029_114019.jpg

20161029_114010.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

20161029_132529.jpg

I have an 8"..  It is a wonderful vise.. I paid a pretty penny for mine but happy I did..    203lbs is what the 8" weighs..  It's a beast to move around.. 

Congrats on finding yours..  Larger sizes are harder to come by and certainly more expensive so if you paid under 200.00 it was a bargain.. 

go back and get the mount..