I Forge Iron

First off there is already a lot of info out there on venting your forge. You'll have to decide between a hood or side draft. Best way is what works well. You will get a lot of opinions on what people prefer. Is your forge a bottom blast or side blast? Size of the building? Pictures or a good description of both would help in getting many good answers to the question.  

sorry I can't help much in Where in Texas to get supplies other then vague ideas. 

Please fill in the details so we can atleast try to help. Yeah we prefer details or photos :) it helps us help you. 

If you post pictures and give some more information we can help you a lot more. I'm pretty new around these parts of the internet as I see you are. So welcome aboard and remember details are prior research are key! The old guys on here know a whole lot and they're usually willing to help. But they don't get grumpy if you research before you ask, and provide plenty of details.

Trey; you in El Paso or 800 miles away?---you can do that in Texas

I got my vent material at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore that was moving---US$4 for 10' of 10" diameter pipe so I bought several.  Commercial places remodeling often throw out lots of Vent pipe---make some friends with some HVAC folks!

However the *best* way is to use platinum pipe as it can take the heat and won't oxidize.  It will cost thousands of dollars but it's the *best* way.  Now for a "good" way You need to provide the information. Including things like can you put a hole in the roof or the wall?  Size of forge, how it gets run  (My large forge had a chunk of RR Rail burnt in two in it once---different venting than one used to forge tent stakes...)

And *please* don't use the term "best" unless you hedge it around with *ALL* the factors; or you can pay for a hundred pounds of platinum to be made into pipe... We have all types of people here so please be specific:  There are folks here who's small forges only take 1 RR car and others who's small forge will only fit their thumb.

39 minutes ago, Kevin_Olson said:

Here's an article about chimneys and hoods. http://www.beautifuliron.com/chimneys.htm

Thats one I found when making mine. just to say had I to do it over I'd have gone 12" instead of 10". is it a problem? no. just something I'd have done different

Thomas, well stated, better then I can.