I Forge Iron

Grandpa's garage is full of surprises

fireater

The swivel and the jaws both move amazingly well considering it has been laying unused for who knows how long. If this keeps up it'll feel like

10 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Nice, how's it move? Don't beat on it like it was a leg vise bench vises aren't intended to take a beating. It must be like waking up Christmas morning every time you go look at your inheritance.

Frosty The Lucky.

for a long time!

Have you ever used a vise that has a horn on it like this one does? 

2 hours ago, fireater said:

The swivel and the jaws both move amazingly well considering it has been laying unused for who knows how long. If this keeps up it'll feel like

for a long time!

Have you ever used a vise that has a horn on it like this one does? 

Yes, it's a decoration NOT an anvil. The face and horn are for wire size work say straightening nails, NOT forging nails. I think vises got these decorations stuck on them to appeal to folk who want a tool that does everything. None do.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Yes, it's a decoration NOT an anvil. The face and horn are for wire size work say straightening nails, NOT forging nails. I think vises got these decorations stuck on them to appeal to folk who want a tool that does everything. None do.

Frosty The Lucky.

Understood, Good thing I'm really interested in the "vise" part of the vice. Finding this one saved me a pretty penny somewhere down the road.

Oh yeah a guy needs a good machinist's vise and that looks like a nice one. The real trick is getting it mounted at the right height and that's a lot lower than ON the bench. A while back someone posted an article from a handbook or magazine about the proper heights for vises. They listed several heights depending on what kind of work you needed it for.

IIRC one height was so a person could get good leverage on the work be it taking machinery apart or bending stock. The other I remember was for file work so it was natural to keep the file level. I don't think any of us are using our vises as a trade like folk early last century but it's good to know how height effects how it works for us.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I have a machinist vise I fasten to the crank table of my floor standing drill press.  I can then move it up or down as needed for a specific project---very handy when doing needle file work.

Great idea Thomas. do you use T bolts or clamps? I assume you swing the table out from under the drill head.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have an old vise that has a threaded shaft depending from the middle of the underside with a very large "wingnut".  The shaft fits through the hole in the center of my drill press table nicely and then the large wingnut fastens it together. In general I swing the table out from under *AND* unplug the drill press---Belt and Suspenders!.  My drill press isn't ancient; got it at a "oil patch crash auction" around 1982 Has a 2 HP Dayton motor on it and does what I need done.