I Forge Iron

Forge tool (rake,straight poker and shovels)

Not to deliberately shift from the fascinating farrier drift here, but as regards the OP:  The only problem you are going to have with these new forge tools (which were sorely needed in the last meeting as I recall), is that they are far too nice and may end up disappearing.  Hate to ruin the aesthetics, but perhaps paint the handles some bright fluorescent color...

53 minutes ago, Latticino said:

Not to deliberately shift from the fascinating farrier drift here, but as regards the OP:  The only problem you are going to have with these new forge tools (which were sorely needed in the last meeting as I recall), is that they are far too nice and may end up disappearing.  Hate to ruin the aesthetics, but perhaps paint the handles some bright fluorescent color...

While I am happy to make the tools I know from long ago that anything donated to a group becomes the responsibility of the group..  If someone decides that they must have it and take it home with them.. Then they must need it and I'm OK with that..  Ideally I made them to show there are more than just bent around and good to use..  If they really have to have it rather than make their own then maybe at some point the tool will inspire them to move into making quality tools.. 

It took me years to figure out what handles work and which ones don't..  If I spend 8hr at the shop, and 75% of it is spent at the forge, waiting on metal then having good tools to me is just as important as the anvil, anvil height, hammers, forge height etc, etc..  

Anything that makes the day easier..     I actually would love to sponsor a teaching day on forge tool making and then have everybody donate their time and give the stuff made to the club.

So, if the club wants to paint the handles then it's up to them. :)  Besides that they are 2 nice to paint.. :)

42 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Sorry ladigo, it's a rare breed of insanity that combines smiths and horses these days, most horsesoers these days wouldn't know a forge if it bit them in the "assumptions"

No problem.. I get it all the time.. I love the fact there are more of us girls getting out there..  4 female farriers in my area..  Still not many female blacksmiths though.. 

I've thorougly enjoyed our conversation.. It is very rare to have a farrier who is happy about the work and about forging real items besides shoes..  I've made 50% of my farrier tools..  I'll post up another thread on farrier tools if you'd like.. 

Got one shovel done with the pattern I prefer..  Here is 1.. I will make 3 more.. But here is the start's.. 

20161012_145358.jpg

20161012_145405.jpg

20161012_145413.jpg

20161012_145331.jpg

20161012_145341.jpg

20161012_145348.jpg

"I'll post up another thread on farrier tools if you'd like.. "  Please do.  There may be a couple of folks here who like tool pictures

17 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Got one shovel done with the pattern I prefer..  Here is 1.. I will make 3 more.. But here is the start's.. 

20161012_145413.jpg

Right-handed thumb loop for leverage? 

yes, but for finger loop...  pointer finger goes into the hole.. 

Also when you need to scoop stuff out of the firepot you stick your finger through the loop and then just lift your hand.. It matches the same angle as the side of the firepot and then you can just lower your hand till the handle is back in your hand and scoop it out.. :)

20161013_174457.jpg

20161013_174522.jpg

20161013_174601.jpg

10 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

If it's never been seen or heard of before on your entire island, it qualifies as an "original" idea. Good work.

Thanks..  Not that I know of.. so maybe original.. :)..  I have a hard time claiming ownership of any ideas in Blacksmithing (or any hammer trades) as the trade is several thousand years old and there have been lots of smart people many times over.. Lots of ideas simply have been forgotten.. 

Sorry about the pictures.. The pictures are right side up on my computer but when i upload them they flip.  

I, for one, am borrowing your idea.  There are a multitude of uses for that simple loop.  As soon as I saw your 1st picture, I face-palmed.   :blink:

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Sorry about the pictures.. The pictures are right side up on my computer but when i upload them they flip.  

The forum software should have a button labeled "Hit me with your hammer"....

19 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Still happy using that fire tool design. It's a keeper. Thanks again for sharing. Easy to maneuver and control. 

Your welcome.. Glad it worked out for you.. 

17 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Pics are coming out upside up when I click on them on my mobile.

That is so funny.. Haven't figured out way..  Right side up on the computer.. Huh.. 

11 hours ago, aessinus said:

I, for one, am borrowing your idea.  There are a multitude of uses for that simple loop.  As soon as I saw your 1st picture, I face-palmed.   :blink:

The forum software should have a button labeled "Hit me with your hammer"....

Thanks.. That's cute..     If you use if for a shovel handle be sure and make your shovel the same width as the bottom of the firepot.. :)