I Forge Iron

Forge tool (rake,straight poker and shovels)

Well after this past week today was a great day to get out in the shop and do some making.. 

Since I offered to make the forge tools for the NEB group it was a good day to get started.. 

I made 4 handles all of a different design though 2 share the same concept.. Well maybe 3 if you consider a twist a concept.. The 4th tool was just to have at it and push the boundaries..  

Feels good getting the cob webs off the old brain and things are starting to make more sense again.. Lot less hits on the anvil to maintain cadence and lot more work being done at each heat.. 

Anyhow, I made the 3 rakes today and 4 straight pokers..   The rakes were a lot of fun to make and the last one was especially fun.. a few more forging days and I should be back in pretty good shape.. 

I'll add the shovels to this thread at another time since I still need to make them..  still not sure on handles.. Shovels can take a little longer to make since I have to make all the parts.. Ah..  

20161008_154327.jpg

20161008_144928.jpg

20161008_155557.jpg

20161008_155604.jpg

20161008_144849.jpg

20161008_144902.jpg

20161008_144904.jpg

11 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Your work made my heart skip a beat...... Delightful.

Robert Taylor

Thanks Robert...  

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

#4 is delightfully over the top for a forge tool, I like it. They're all nice tools but if you let them vote I'm betting on NEB electing #4 handles. I would

Frosty The Lucky.

I got a little crazy..    Thanks Kindly.. 

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

They are all good but that heart one Is really nice. I have to ask did you make a heart shaped punch?  Glad your getting back into the swing of things. :) 

Heart punch and heart drift..  clean up with rat tail file.. 

Thanks,,  Me too..    Be nice once I can get the brain to get back into focus (it wants more options when only one is correct).. The arms are working well (muscle memory).. but the thought process is still a little slow.. Of course I'm 10 years older so maybe that plays in.. 

40 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yeah, we're all a little crazy or we'd play at easier hobbies it's just some of us do prettier crazy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm with ya..   Funny thing is with being a farrier the blacksmithing is a much easier gig..    If someone wants real crazy try being a farrier.. :)

1 hour ago, Anachronist58 said:

I'm not smart enough to be a farrier thank you.

Robert

Thats funny..    Before, during and after my 3 year apprenticeship I never thought I would be a farrier either. I did it to add to the title of " General Blacksmith"  (ooh, look at me I can do it all)..  here i am 27 year later..

Smithing.. all forms of it are far easier than working with sharp tools, slippery feet and awnry horses..  Wresting with a 400+lbs anvil everyday.. Give it a try.. :)..  I love my job.. Just not the work.. 

Or is it the other way around..  I love my work, just not my job???    Guess it depends on the day..  Mind you for the most part. I work on good horses which stand very well.. Usually ground tied, but just the same its a very abusive job simply from position under the horse, the weight you have to carry, the knees being bent deeply, and the back from being all hunched over.. . 

47 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Now JLP, how are we going to lure fresh blood into the profession?!

Which one?    I'm tall for a farrier at 5'11" and as a farrier the shorter the better.. 

I love what I do with horses and it very rewarding, especially when you take a lame horse and get them healthy again.. and horses are awesome and honest.  Some of the best to hang out with and happy to call all my friend..But it isn't for the faint at heart.. 

There are just easier ways to make a living.. 

3 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

6'2" myself and I wear riding heals to shoe in, lol. Putting on a set of size 7 shoes with borium (drill tec rod) in the AM. All you have to do is  shoe taller horses (ended the week with 5 minnies)!

God bless you.. Phew.. Your a man after my own heart.. I show up in heels and the owners want to go for drinks instead of shoeing..   

Not that you have to answer as it's a personal question but what are you charging for a New set of size 7's with borium..  Fronts or all 4?  I stay away from drafts unless the people have stocks..

I do a ton of mini's now.. a few miniature donkeys and a bunch of show horses and pleasure, both western and english. My specialty is barefoot though started about 20 years ago.. 

I ran into the guy I apprenticed with this past spring with his new apprentice after not seeing him for 15 years..  2nd thing out of his mouth was" So I heard you are a barefooter now".. YUP.. 

Next words"  You are such a loser" Why are you wasting your talents with barefoot as you are the finest shoe shaper I've ever known"..    Was the proudest moment of my life.. :)..  Thankful everyday he shared his gift with me. I learned so much those 3 years and then I learned a wheelbarrow  more the next 5.. 

By the way.. There is a reason you don't see a lot of old aged, football players, boxers. sumo wrestlers. Kickboxers in the professional capacity.. It isn't because they aren't very well skilled.. It's because you simply can't do as much since ya just get slower.. 

27 years this year.. as a full time Farrier..  38 year forging metal..  I am always amazed how old I am getting.. :)

Used to take me 5-8 minutes to trim all 4 feet on say a Morgan or Q horse with size 1 feet or even size 2 feet..  Now it's 10-15min per horse.. 

56 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

Charles I beg you leave at my interlope, but what a conversation!

Robert

Ah, not quite sure what you mean.. 

But, just to be clear.. a riding heel is a western style of riding boot with a slanted tapered heel usually designed for the wearing of spurs.. 

Well, I like working heavies, and she is here for a tune up before going back to work pulling carriages. So the client is getting off light at $210 plus cost on the rod ($20). 

I see a shoe as a theropudic appliance, but in the case of working horses, Oklahoma City requires they be shod. So no real choice their. I typicaly work them bare foot myself. 

Oddly enugh my back hurts much less with the heals than with out, and they only step on me one...

amazing how fast they get the idea when you grind your heal into their coronary band. 

The heals on riding boots make a person shift their weight forwards onto the balls of their feet and causes them to stand straighter so in general folk who wear riding boots have better posture and fewer back problems.

And that's my contribution to the thread, I actually knew that one! I'll go back to reading. Loving the thread, thank you.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

All I mean is that I am enjoying the conversation, but do not want to butt in.....

It's all good.. it's a group conversation..  Besides that.. I'm slow on the uptake.. :)

7 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Well, I like working heavies, and she is here for a tune up before going back to work pulling carriages. So the client is getting off light at $210 plus cost on the rod ($20). 

I see a shoe as a theropudic appliance, but in the case of working horses, Oklahoma City requires they be shod. So no real choice their. I typicaly work them bare foot myself. 

Oddly enugh my back hurts much less with the heals than with out, and they only step on me one...

amazing how fast they get the idea when you grind your heal into their coronary band. 

Nice.. I have much respect for you.. Much tougher than I am..  The People are lucky to have you.. Clips also? Heel caulks? 

Here in the Northeast.. there are just about more farriers then there are horses.. Joking mind you, When I started there were maybe 125 in Mass.. You could be on the road for days and never see another shoeing rig..  Now I see other rigs all the time..  Within 20min of driving time I can hit 5 different farriers Homes.. 

Clips, no heal or toe calks. If she were mine and I was working brick town (brick streams and old brick wear houses made into bars, restraints and shops. I would. As that's what they were originally for. Just put the drilltec (carbide in a brass matrix). 

You would be amazed how well one will stand if you make them move stupid circles when they move. Think running suicides for your basket ball coach back in school. 

There are about 40,000 horses in Oklahoma, want some?

27 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Clips, no heal or toe calks. If she were mine and I was working brick town (brick streams and old brick wear houses made into bars, restraints and shops. I would. As that's what they were originally for. Just put the drilltec (carbide in a brass matrix). 

You would be amazed how well one will stand if you make them move stupid circles when they move. Think running suicides for your basket ball coach back in school. 

There are about 40,000 horses in Oklahoma, want some?

If I am ever in the area I'd love to stop by and see you work.. You sound like my kind of people..   

We have 3 horses.. More horses today than any other time in history in the USA.. 

True, and despite them being very effecent at certain kinds of work (and if handled with respect they certainly seem to enjoy working with us) they sit idle, and often neglected. 

I am "owned" buy 3 Appaloosas. Lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sandy caught me working on an old timer last week. Bit arthritic, so  I'm not exactly using OSA approved positions to hold feet, lol

8 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

True, and despite them being very effecent at certain kinds of work (and if handled with respect they certainly seem to enjoy working with us) they sit idle, and often neglected. 

I am "owned" buy 3 Appaloosas. Lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sandy caught me working on an old timer last week. Bit arthritic, so  I'm not exactly using OSA approved positions to hold feet, lol

Nice.. Great pictures..    Yup, my kind of people..   Show um a little respect and they give back in spades.. :)   Appi's are my favorite.. They have learned me some of the most important lessons I could have learned as a farrier.. Main lesson:  I work with them, they don't work for me.  Thats the simplest way to explain it though they certainly do work...  It's the order or expression.. 

I have a few old guys who can barely get their feet off the ground.. They put their hearts into getting their feet as high as they can, and I thank them for it.. Much love..  More than a few fall asleep when I'm working..  Approved position is where ever the horse is comfortable.. :)  Thanks for the pictures.. 

Yes sir, I have a couple of 4x4 cut offs I use just to get them up enugh to keep my tools out of the dirt. 

Folks don't understand that it's a matter of trust, I trust them, they trust me. I'm not saying that some horses haven't been mishandled, and I either have to have a header I trust or I have to take the time to school them. But for the most part I am the best horse man my clients ever see (even if the horses are the only ones to relise it). 

2 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Yes sir, I have a couple of 4x4 cut offs I use just to get them up enugh to keep my tools out of the dirt. 

Folks don't understand that it's a matter of trust, I trust them, they trust me. I'm not saying that some horses haven't been mishandled, and I either have to have a header I trust or I have to take the time to school them. But for the most part I am the best horse man my clients ever see (even if the horses are the only ones to relise it). 

Its' actually Mam..  But not to be picky.. 

Here's a few pic's of the ones I did first thing this morning..  First is a Midget who had terribly disfigured feet and was walking on the side of her fetlock joints.. the bottom of the hoof was completely sideways and lateral to the ground..  Both on her right side.. Front and rear..  Shes doing very well now and is walking properly on both sides though there is bone deformities on both front and rear.. She gets trimmed every 3 weeks.  

And a Mini who had foundered really bad and I was called in to do a rescue.. He has made a near 90% recovery.. this will be my 2nd fall working on him and each fall he has had a setback( I think he is eating leaves)  

this guy is a stallion and he absolutely miserable the first time I met him..  he stands perfect with no lead or halter now..  Pretty excellent.. 

In the picture you can see he's sticking his tongue out.. :)

10102016 (1)-0005.jpg

VID00208-0001-1.jpg