I Forge Iron

Galvanized quench tank

I'm attempting to use the Super Quench formula and it calls for the solution to be at 150°. I have a galvanized tub that I would like to use. I know I'm not supposed to forge galvanized things; but is there serious risk with heating it filled with liquid in an outdoor setting?  Sorry if this has been asked before 

Very unlikely that any surface zinc on your tub will volatilize at 150 deg.F.  The issue is in how you plan on heating that water up.  If you use the typical red hot piece of stock carefully swirled around in the quenchant before you actually heat treat you should be fine (I like a meat thermometer to check my quench temperature).  Just don't try to heat the tub up with a roofing torch on the exterior surface or similar.

Not going to be definitive on this (Proceed at your own risk), but provided you move the contact point around and ensure that the tank doesn't ever get to the point where the zinc starts to burn off you should be OK.  The quenchant inside the tank should keep it cool provided you don't get a local hot spot on the outside.  Keep upwind.

Not sure how you are heating the object to be heat treated if you only have a propane burner... I would recommend heating the tank using the method I outlined in the previous post. 

If you see any white smoke, stop!  This is nothing to play around with.

1 hour ago, Latticino said:

Not sure how you are heating the object to be heat treated if you only have a propane burner... I would recommend heating the tank using the method I outlined in the previous post. 

I am using an small old coal forge to heat my work

19 minutes ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Super Quench works just fine at room temp FYI.  Just make sure you stir it well to re-mix any salt that may have settled out.  

Thank you, thats great to know

Whether or not you heat the quenchant is dependent on fast you want the steel to chill. The whole purpose of "super quench" (SQ) is it's a FAST quench that doesn't form steam pockets as readily against the stock being quenched.

If the steel calls for SQ to be pre warmed and you don't, the steel will be quenched too fast for the desired result.

When I was drilling the Geologist used a weed burner to keep his bucket of water from freezing in winter by just propping it up and leaving it run all day. About half an hour before lunch we'd drop a can of grub in the bucket so we could eat a hot lunch. Every winter for 20 years while drilling and I NEVER saw so much as a spark of zinc green flame nor any sign of zinc oxide from when I was paying  attention to my job.

I don't think just heating a galvy tub of water with a propane torch is a risk, especially if you don't do it often. Don't let it go dry though. Or you could boil some water on the kitchen stove and carry it out (CAREFULLY!!!) and dump it in your quench tank. Better yet use a camp stove or charcoal Hibachi to heat a garage sale pan of water for the quench.

Just because I don't think something is much of a hazard doesn't mean you can't be more careful. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I have never heard of heating SuperQuench.  I have used it for about 15 years.  As Frosty said the purpose of SuperQuench is to have a fast quench.  If you need to slow the quench down just use water, or oil.  When I have discussed it with Robb he never mentioned heating it and when I have seen him use it he did not heat it.

Are you going to store the SuperQuench in the tank?  How good is the integrity of the galvanized coating?  I use a 7 gallon plastic container with a lid.  I just make sure not to touch the sides or bottom.  If 15 years I have not had a problem.  If you are concerned about touching the plastic bucket and so are going to use the galvanized container when quenching I would move it to a plastic container after the use.

12 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

I have never heard of heating SuperQuench.  I have used it for about 15 years.  As Frosty said the purpose of SuperQuench is to have a fast quench.  If you need to slow the quench down just use water, or oil.  When I have discussed it with Robb he never mentioned heating it and when I have seen him use it he did not heat it.

Are you going to store the SuperQuench in the tank?  How good is the integrity of the galvanized coating?  I use a 7 gallon plastic container with a lid.  I just make sure not to touch the sides or bottom.  If 15 years I have not had a problem.  If you are concerned about touching the plastic bucket and so are going to use the galvanized container when quenching I would move it to a plastic container after the use.

Yeah, the heating part seemed counterintuitive to me as well. However, im very new to all this and didnt wantto question it. Once i was done with my quench I moved the solution to a plastic bucket for storage until the next time I want to use it.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

Whether or not you heat the quenchant is dependent on fast you want the steel to chill.

Frosty The Lucky.

Remember, the liquid is going to be pulling heat out of the container walls until it's all evaporated.  This is why you can boil water in a paper cup with a cigarette lighter for heat: the paper doesn't get any hotter than 212° F, well below its ignition temperature.