I Forge Iron

Acorn spring swage

That was well worth watching, thank you for the link Pancho.

One word about using your drill press like a lathe, the bearings in the quill are not designed to take lateral pressure and will wear quickly if you push sideways on the chuck. Sooo if you use the technique to make patterns like in this video use a very light touch with the grinder.

I'd sure be tempted to use 4140 for the spring die though, case hardening might prevent surface wear but it won't do anything to prevent deformation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry, I tend to lose a lot of people. Sometimes I think I speak a different English than most of the population. I was referring to your comment about the bearings in the quill.

About a year ago I was looking into buying a couple 80% completed AR15 lower receivers. They can be shipped directly to your house with out an FFL transfer and are milled to 80%, give or take of the finished product. The end user has to mill out the last 10%, the cavity for the trigger mechanism and holes for the pins that keep the trigger in place and connect it to the upper receiver. This can be done with a drill press but most of the suppliers of the "80%s" tend to advise not doing this as, as you said, a drill press' chuck is not made to take lateral pressure.

sorry for the confusion

No worries, confusion is the story of my life. :blink: Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes I just type what I'm thinking without thinking about it and lose myself if I read it later. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the keyboard on this laptop doesn't register to the reflex typist brain node properly so I can't type at my old 75+wpm. If I get going now I make so many mistakes I might as well let the cat type.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...