I Forge Iron

Here are some pictures of my makeshift hot cut hardie.

I was looking for a hot cut solution, and my forge is too small to pound one, so I decided to pick up a Stanley 2" Brick Chisel. After pulling off the rubber grip I removed the paint and began slightly tapering the end. The next step was to find a piece of pipe that fit around the shank and hot fit it to my hardie hole. I left enough of the pipe round so that the chisel would still fit in and then I began to hot fit the chisel into the pipe while continuing to square it in the hardie hole. Over all the project took a couple hours total. It is simple and very effective for a makeshift beginner tool. I really need to get into the habit of taking pictures during the process though!

Thanks,

Viking

Brick Chisel Hot Cut Hardie (3).JPG

Brick Chisel Hot Cut Hardie (1).JPG

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think you want to size it down so it rests on the anvil's face or the shank might jam.

Thanks Frosty!

I thought of that as well after skimming some posts in this thread. I would have done exactly that, but fortunately, it seats itself after the first whack and I have enough of the shank out the bottom and just enough wiggle that I am able to tap it out fairly easily.

Thanks for looking out though!

Viking