I Forge Iron

Tools to make tools

Gorō

SWEET kit!  An eye drift, slit punch, cup tool and Brazeal style tongs, beautiful turning and straight pein hammers. Looks to me like he set you up, if you want a cross pein you're going to have to make your own. I LIKE the way he thinks. ;)

I'm a little jealous.

Frosty The Lucky.

Day by day, bit by bit I'm slowly getting there. :)

Ive got some old axles,cv drive shafts and rusted cable from my old mans winch on his trawler I'm hoping to put to good use when everything is set up!

Initially I tried punching with a handled punch I got from eBay but it didn't move the steel how I wanted it. I'm probably going to remove the handle and reshape it

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

That punch has been broken or (probably) cut off for some reason, the working end should be around 4" / 100mm? long. These are still being made and used, sometimes called drift pin punch, they're generally used to remove lock pins, carbide teeth form soils or stone cutting bits and similar. We had a couple on each drill rig for changing teeth on the bits. They WILL bend if you work hard enough but I've never seen one broken, especially not there

It may make a good blank to make a touch mark. It's designed to be hit with a hammer and the broken end was heat treated to stand up to abuse and or punching holes so it should work fine for a touchmark.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

That punch has been broken or (probably) cut off for some reason, the working end should be around 4" / 100mm? long. These are still being made and used, sometimes called drift pin punch, they're generally used to remove lock pins, carbide teeth form soils or stone cutting bits and similar. We had a couple on each drill rig for changing teeth on the bits. They WILL bend if you work hard enough but I've never seen one broken, especially not there

It may make a good blank to make a touch mark. It's designed to be hit with a hammer and the broken end was heat treated to stand up to abuse and or punching holes so it should work fine for a touchmark.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking of upsetting the punch part that broke off and then try to taper it and fix up the hammer eye. 

To make a touch mark would I neeed to engrave a design or something? It's something I haven't thought of yet.

I wouldn't go to much if any trouble making a hammer out of it. It's a top tool so the handle eye doesn't need to have as much resistance to turning.

There are a lot of different ways to make a touchmark punch. You can engrave the punch directly or my preference engrave, chisel, chase, etc. the touchmark and drive the punch into it HOT.

I guess the LOT I refer to are the ways to engrave.

Frosty The Lucky.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, Frosty said:

SWEET kit!  An eye drift, slit punch, cup tool and Brazeal style tongs, beautiful turning and straight pein hammers. Looks to me like he set you up, if you want a cross pein you're going to have to make your own. I LIKE the way he thinks. ;)

I'm a little jealous.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not sure if this is one of your sarcastic moments, its hard to tell from the tone you said it in, but I believe that in the kit there are not any cross peen hammers, or turning hammers, but rather a half inch fuller, and a 3/4" (?) fuller.

Littleblacksmith

No cross pein in the kit, that's why I said he'd have to make one if he wanted one. It's a diabolical way to get guys started making hammers. There was just the barest hint of sarcasm slipped in on that one, most tool makers want you to buy one of theirs not make your own. Then again that looks an awful lot like a cup die in the back ground.

The angle may be fooling me but I think the nice hammer on the bottom left has a flat face and a square turning pein in clear view. The one that looks a lot like a straight pein to me could indeed be a top fuller but the side you can't see looks a lot like a face to me. I could be wrong though, I wouldn't be surprised.

Frosty The Lucky.