I Forge Iron

Recently acquired an anvil and looking for some info.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums (and blacksmithing in general) and recently acquired an anvil. It seems to be in pretty good shape as far as my inexperienced self can tell. I was hoping you guys might be able to provide some info on the anvil, such as the manufacturer, possibly the year, and if you guys think it needs any work. I intend to use as my starting anvil (just recently started classes at a local blacksmith shop, so it would be for my personal use when I get a forge going.)

I couldn't find a manufacture or weight stamp anywhere but it weighs about 95# on the bathroom scale. There's a 5 stamped on the front side underneath the horn. What I'm guessing is the serial number is also on the front side, but on the foot. The best I can tell, it says 30005 but that could be way off. If you all need more info from me, I'll do my best to provide it.

Any info you all have would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

DSC00495.JPG

DSC00497.JPG

DSC00498.JPG

DSC00499.JPG

DSC00507.JPG

DSC00509.JPG

DSC00491.JPG

DSC00492.JPG

DSC00493.JPG

The number under the horn and the serial number on the left usually indicate Hay Budden. Is there a number on the heel with the horn pointing left? With the horn pointing right take a direct picture of the body or look for markings there. Can't tell from your pictures but is there a top plate or does it have a welded waist?

Either way, do a ball bearing test to know the condition of your anvil. I have a few myself and they are around the 70-80% range.

Pac,

Thanks for the quick response!

When I get home from work I can try and take some clearer pictures. From what I could tell, I didn't see a number anywhere on the heel. I could have easily missed it though, the whole anvil seems to be pretty dinged up with tiny chips, cut marks, and divots.

My guess is there's a plate welded on top, but it's really hard to tell if it looks that way due to edges starting to go or if it's a weld line.

I don't have any ball bearings unfortunately, but I can try to pick one up on the way home, and hopefully find out what the bounce is for you.

Thanks,

Sean

Someone with a copy of Anvils in America can date your anvil from your serial number. The older ones had a top plate and I believe the newer ones with the tool steel top half. You could check to see if there is an A in front of your serial number.

You don't need to buy ball bearings, just test with a hammer. Let the hammer drop on different parts of the anvil face and It should ring pretty loud and rebound nicely. If it goes thunk and no rebound it might have some hidden problems. This is just for this particular anvil, some anvils were made to go thunk but still have a good rebound.

Just got home and checked to see if there's an 'A' in front of the serial number, and I'm not seeing one. It doesn't look like there's anything in front of the 3 at all.

I took a closer look at the face and it does look like a plate is welded on.

DSC00519.JPG

With the horn facing to the left, I can't seem to find any info on the heel.

DSC00522.JPG

Direct body shot with the horn facing the right.DSC00515.JPG

Sorry if the pictures are unclear.

I had to stop by the hardware store to pick up a an outlet so I checked to see if they had any ball bearings just so I could check the bounce. I picked up a 5/8" ball bearing for 90 cents (I'm assuming the size isn't a huge factor?) and when I checked the bounce, it looks like it was returning to between 65% and 70% of the height. Dropped it from 10". Should also mention that this test took place on a elevated wood porch (3rd level of an apartment and didn't have time or feel like lugging the anvil to the first floor :rolleyes:) and not on super solid ground or anything, which might change the results. Could be wrong about this, but seems to make sense in my head. It did ring decently (nothing in past experience to compare to, so this would be a completely subjective to me.) when I let the hammer drop free fall in a arc from about 4 or 5 inches or so.

I got the anvil for about $175.00 so I wasn't expecting the best thing in the world. The only real thing that concerns me is that the cuts and marks on the face are everywhere. Will these show up in my future work do you think? Or will they be insignificant?  I'm not really concerned about now, since I'm a total novice and it will likely take a while for me to consider myself otherwise, but was wondering if down the road it could become a problem. 

Thanks as always!

Sean

What I like is how you are taking your time and researching on your own instead of wanting to go ahead and just start welding and milling and fixing every little thing. Your anvil shows use by someone who probably made a living and used the anvil for what it is, a tool. Your rebound test told you that anvil is ready for more work to be done. Since you're starting out, just use it how it is. Read up on here on how to maintain your anvil without ruining it. One of my anvils when I first got it was covered in rust scale. Did the rebound test, maybe 50%, wire cupped it got to 75% or so. As you start using the anvil more, some of the marks on the face could possibly fix themselves.

Your anvil is in good condition, just use it. That's a very good price as well, can't wait to see some of your work.

Thanks for all the info and help!

It's encouraging to know that just using it as it was intended might actually increase it's usefulness.

I'm guessing the anvil has seen it's fair share of use over the years. When I came across it (with the help of an uncle in Northern Indian who spread the work I was looking for an anvil to all of his farm neighbors), it had been sitting in a barn for a very long time according to the farmer who owned it. He had another anvil in the same barn that I thought looked significantly more beat up.

When I finally purchase/make a forge and find a place to use said forge, I'll be sure to start posting some stuff so I can get some honest and constructive critique.

Class number 2 starts this weekend!

Sean