I Forge Iron

Blower Restore - Paint/Primer Question

AdamInTx

Hello,

I'm in the process of restoring an old Western Chief blower and an un-named post vise.  During the process I have found samples of the original paint colors for both items and would like to paint them those colors again.  My question though has to do with primer.  Should I get a stand-alone primer and then paint them the desired colors or can I use a paint with the primer built in.  I saw at the store that rust-oleum has several that are advertised as having a primer built in and are meant for metal.  Any suggestions?

What color are they goin. If its black dont worry about primer. Just clean and degrease good and shoot it. If red,yellow,green then prime with a light grey primer. That way it gives the piece a light ground coat color which will help the topcoat go on without so many coats. Plus the lighter primer under lighter colors makes  the topcoat more vibrant. Then find some catalized clear coat. A clear that needs a hardener. 2 coats of that and now the color will really pop plus will be resistant to chemicals up to a point. Regular rattle can paint can be washed off with solvent but the 2 part clear wont. Much more durable. Auto parts stores sometimes have this clear. If not call a local bodyshop and see where they get there paint from. My supplier here does sell to people off the street. Hope this helps.   Trouble with the clear is your going to have to have some kind of a spray gun. And solvents to clean the gun out after. 

I have used both prime then paint, just paint and the rustoleum paint and primer.  You will be fine any way you do it.  With out primer you just might have to do another coat of paint.  Oh and the paint with primer do light coats it is thick but runny will make since when you use it.  I do think rustoleum is the best can paint.  

If you are going to paint the lettering rustoleum also makes a great paint stick.  Basically a paint marker.  

One last thing don't forget the PICTURES!!! We want pics!!

SReynolds,  I actually did find some of the original gold paint on the gear cover (where it labels the gear numbers) after removing all the old grease.  The outside of the blower was all rusty so none of the outside gold was left.

And matto, I didn't know they made a paint stick, I'll have to look for one in gold,  that would be a lot easier than me trying to paint those letters with a brush.