I Forge Iron

19th Century Brick Forge Build

Bradon21

I'm a, 2 year experienced, blacksmith building my second forge and is an functioning recreation of an antique 19th century forge used in small towns all around Europe. The dimensions are 36" wide, 24" deep, and about 24"-36" tall. it will be made of fire brick and a metal fire pot. I've included a photo of my rough ideas but wish to known from more experienced blacksmiths if there is anything i should know or any tips?

IMG_7172-1024x768.jpg

If I haven't already welcomed you to Iforge, welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge members live within visiting distance.

I'm not really a solid fuel forge guy but even if I were I couldn't render a useful opinion or suggestions based on your sketches. Can you do plan and elevation views? "Plan view = straight down from above, dimensioned is best.) (Elevation views = centered and level from the front, side, both sides and back if they differ) This drawing style is also known as "mechanical" drawing and is intended to highlight only those things that matter in the function of the subject, be it a sky scraper, 1 car garage, V8 engine, your forge, etc.

Graph paper is excellent for making what I call "technical" or working sketches, it's easy to scale and you don't need drafting tools, eg. T square, triangles or even a scale.

The bench and vise are entirely extraneous to the forge unless you're asking about the shop layout in which case a plan view is necessary.

Sorry if I'm coming across as picky but I'd really like a good idea of what you wish to build. I'm not a solid fuel guy but if one of the guys finds the right coal seam in the local decommissioned mine I have 2 pallets of bricks I've salvaged from spilled load along the highway that is just singing out to become a forge or maybe outdoor pizza oven. B)

Frosty The Lucky.