I Forge Iron

Big Blu or Robertson

Dom

I want to purchase a nice hammer for myself.

I am a beginner and I fully understand that it is the smith and not the hammer that makes good result and not the other way around.

That said, let's just say I want one for personal enjoyment of a well crafted object.

I'm hesitating between a 2.5 lbs Czech Style Nathan Robertson from Old World Anvils and a 2.4 lbs (or maybe 3.5) Cross Peen from Big Blu Hammer.

Those are the two that I found that ship to Canada for a not so horrible fee.

Do you guys have preference/recommendation/advice regarding any or both brands?

For a beginner, you'd do better to spend your money on a selection of inexpensive secondhand hammers, fuel, steel, etc. My go-to hammer is a reground True Temper engineer's hammer I paid a fiver for at a flea market, and my second primary hammer is a cross peen I got from Sears in the early eighties. A well-made tool is a joy to use, but you need to build up your skill first before you can appreciate it and use it to its full capacity.

My two cents (3¢ Canadian).

• 1 month later...

Do you know the story behind how your hammers came to be made in the USA instead of Israel? Have you tested the balance of your hammers, not the feel as feel is subjective and not objective, Have you done a side by side comparison performance test between your hammers, other similarly shaped cross pein hammers, and the original Hofi hammer?

I would be interested in knowing the story about how they came to be made in America. I remember reading somewhere on here that Mr Hofi stated that Blu had the right to make them in the USA. But that's about it.

8 hours ago, Glenn said:

Do you know the story behind how your hammers came to be made in the USA instead of Israel? Have you tested the balance of your hammers, not the feel as feel is subjective and not objective, Have you done a side by side comparison performance test between your hammers, other similarly shaped cross pein hammers, and the original Hofi hammer?

I would like to know your version of the story since there are a few around and there is no way to know which version is correct. 

I understand that Hofi commissioned Blue to make them but then had some fall out for reasons unknown to me. Blue is not the only one making this hammers, there was another guy allegedly a student of Hofi making them? Not sure, not terribly interested. others claim that hammer shape has been around for centuries?

As far as testing the hammer side by side with one made by Hofi, to do that I would need to buy a Hofi hammer of the same weight then one of mine and possess the skills to be able to tell the difference. 

I first bought two of Blue hammers and when they arrived the head was not aligned with the handle. To their credit they sent me two more this time in perfect shape and I bought a third one to take advantage of the free shipping. So I now have 5. The misaligned hammers do work ok and you adjust after a few hammer strikes. Not acceptable to pay for it but ok if it is free. I would gladly give one to our Canadian friend but the fright would be a killer. 

I must say that having used an unknown brand cross peen hammer for a long time, this feels way better. If Hofi's is even better, I have no way to know yet I take your word for it. May be I need to buy one of the masters production? Possible, I am a sucker for tools, in fact I like new projects just to have an excuse to buy more tools.

Anyway the OP asked about the blue hammer and the Robertson. I have the Blue and I like it, that is all I can say :)

Mm ... a very aseptic story, says almost nothing. 

So a few people took a couple of classes and started manufacturing his hammer? There is no claim of patent infringement so probably no patent.

. I have seen old hammers from Austria and eastern europe that look very similar to that one. How close? Who knows. I am sure he makes a better one. but if people knocked off his design without permission he is not telling. There is an old thread in this very forum about someone making that or very similar hammer. titled "Sorry Hofi" or something on that line... and as far as the blu hammer, I spoke to the owner and he told me he had a commercial arrangement to make the hammers and the anvil but then had a dissagreement.  

Anyway ... now you made me feel guilty, I will buy a cast hammer from Hofi just to even the score. :)

7 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Anyway ... now you made me feel guilty, I will buy a cast hammer from Hofi just to even the score. :)

To really clear your conscience, also get me one shipped to my door. This way you won't have the horrible freight charges from Australia. :D

For the record, since I'm the OP of this thread. I've gotten a nice Picard French pattern hammer which was way cheaper than either a Blu or a Robertson.

I'm still interested in getting a Blu down the line (and thanks Marc1 for your opinion on them and the company), mainly because I'm curious about the shape and balance but I'm not in a rush.