I Forge Iron

New vice id, Help !!

Austin Ferraiuolo

"Commercial Shearing & Stamping" is mentioned as being at 1775 Logan Ave, Youngstown OH in June of 1921...a report that they hired a new general manager.

They also printed a booklet of formula regarding stampings and tank heads.  Another reference book they put out was regarding rock tunneling

Apparently they were still in business in 1974 when they advertised "Due to growth we hove excellent opportunities for Journeyman Machinists. W can offer tady employment Excellent hourly, rate and fringe benefits apply between 8:15-11 a.m. and At: PERSONNEL OFFICE COMMERCIAL SHEARING, INC. 1 775 LOGAN AVE. YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO"

There is a hint that they changed their name in 1988 but I am searching to figure that one out.  Over the years there are several references to blacksmiths being hired as management.

Google maps shows that address as a vacant lot with nothing left but a concrete pad...but across the street is Parker (a gigantic conglomerate corp) which is also the home of....Commercial metal forming Inc (you have to be on the right frame to read the sign).

So, if you really want to get desperate you can try contacting them.  It's a longshot but many companies have archives so if you can get past the gate-keepers who might consider you a loony, someone might have some info to give on it's history and possible age.

Their site http://www.cmforming.com/about.htm  says they started in 1920 so your vice is after that date (unless they have their history wrong)

FYI I have a parts with a 45 minute cycle on the CNC mill so am trying to kill time between change overs.  I'm not normally this weird about researching.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2016 at 3:01 AM, Kozzy said:

"Commercial Shearing & Stamping" is mentioned as being at 1775 Logan Ave, Youngstown OH in June of 1921...a report that they hired a new general manager.

They also printed a booklet of formula regarding stampings and tank heads.  Another reference book they put out was regarding rock tunneling

Apparently they were still in business in 1974 when they advertised "Due to growth we hove excellent opportunities for Journeyman Machinists. W can offer tady employment Excellent hourly, rate and fringe benefits apply between 8:15-11 a.m. and At: PERSONNEL OFFICE COMMERCIAL SHEARING, INC. 1 775 LOGAN AVE. YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO"

There is a hint that they changed their name in 1988 but I am searching to figure that one out.  Over the years there are several references to blacksmiths being hired as management.

Google maps shows that address as a vacant lot with nothing left but a concrete pad...but across the street is Parker (a gigantic conglomerate corp) which is also the home of....Commercial metal forming Inc (you have to be on the right frame to read the sign).

So, if you really want to get desperate you can try contacting them.  It's a longshot but many companies have archives so if you can get past the gate-keepers who might consider you a loony, someone might have some info to give on it's history and possible age.

Their site http://www.cmforming.com/about.htm  says they started in 1920 so your vice is after that date (unless they have their history wrong)

FYI I have a parts with a 45 minute cycle on the CNC mill so am trying to kill time between change overs.  I'm not normally this weird about researching.

this reply is kinda funny.but sometimes i do research that i find 2 in-depth also , so every now and then we as people do research for thing that interest us as a group. and this reply to a reply is to in-depth for me . just my 2 cents.