I Forge Iron

Looking to get into blacksmithing

Just a bit of a contrast in opinion...  If you are trying to focus on learning blacksmithing without an instructor might I suggest considering a ready-made propane forge rather than trying to build one as your first project?

I started on a similar path (and am still very new at it) but one of the best decisions I made early-on was to purchase a small gas forge that just needed a quick coat of refractory cement to seal up the Kaowool insulation and I was ready to start forging.  Mine came from a US based seller that runs a blacksmithing school in Colorado and cost me less than $200 shipped (via eBay), plus a box of firebricks and some refractory that I picked up at Menards locally.  Propane is simple to find and purchase locally compared to blacksmithing coal (not particularly common in the midwest) so that was also a major factor in my choice.  Getting it lit and up to heat is a breeze, I can usually start forging within 5 minutes of having it fired-up with smaller size stock.  It's also really small and easy to store when not in use, which could come in handy down the road if you ever need a portable setup for demos, etc..  I now have a permanent shop in my backyard but have't found a need for a bigger forge even though the space could easily accommodate one.

ABANA publishes their blacksmithing coursework free online and has a number of good videos on their Youtube channel.  Loreli Sims "The Backyard Blacksmith" is a good and affordable book that I refer to often that will cover a lot of essential technique skills plus some good information on shop layouts, etc..

Final bit of advice...  the idea of re-using existing material rather than buying new steel stock is, in my opinion, another advanced skill (like building your own tools) that should come after you have some experience.  Working with "known" hot/cold rolled mild steel in consistent sizes is going to let you focus on technique while following the project examples documented in the Sims book and ABANA curriculum if that's the path you follow.  Save the mower blades, leaf springs and railroad spikes for later when you've got a bit of forge time under your belt.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

This anvil's too loud!

And this anvil's too small!

And this anvil is Just Right!
(Must be a Mousehole.)

Uh. . . Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. It was that darned birch scrambled my brain it did. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! :wacko:

Goldilocks and the three Soderfors they're all just right.

Frosty The Lucky.

Beer, Dwarves are known for brewing and drinking adult fermented grain beverages though wine isn't out of the question. Not all dwarves are irritable they just don't suffer fools gladly. Disney called his curmudgeon dwarf Grumpy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I wasn't thinking "Goldilocks and the three beers" when I posted but you've managed to pervert it to that, Frosty, and I can't complain.  If I were you I'd claim I meant it.

Seriously, I'm desperately seeking my just right blower that has the static pressure to push through the pile of coal in my side blast.  I hate the noise of my current blower but, because I'm cheap and willing to wait for something free or cheap, I grin and bear it.  I won't be happy with some Mickey Mouse setup, I want complete control of my fire.

17 hours ago, Lou L said:

Seriously, I'm desperately seeking my just right blower that has the static pressure to push through the pile of coal in my side blast.  I hate the noise of my current blower but, because I'm cheap and willing to wait for something free or cheap, I grin and bear it.  I won't be happy with some Mickey Mouse setup, I want complete control of my fire.

Hi Lou,

If it is only the noise you have a problem with, consider how to reduce it.

It would help to show us a picture of your setup, and how you control the air flow. If it is electricity powered there are options, if it is hand cranked, surgery may be needed

Our blower is located in a seperate area externally and piped into the building and serves 12 hearths,

Others I have used have been in a contained (boxed in) area that has soundproofing, at the rear/side of the hearth , but also vented to allow air intake to the blower,  

Both these methods significantly reduce the noise levels.

Hope this is of consideration and helps.

I currently use an old hand vacuum (Dirt Devil) because the vent fan I had lacked the static pressure to punch through the coal.  I use a PVC ball valve to control the air but find it is not easy to fine tune my air with it.  I have control and can create a fire that melts steel too easily but I believe that adding a gate valve will be more effective.  I just didn't want to build anything until I find the fan that works for me.  I considered encasing my current fan in a wood box but I'm hoping that one of my many resources provides me with a free centrifugal blower soon...so I wait.

What diameter is the orifice in the PVC ball valve,  and what diameter air pipes you are using? The vacuum is powerful enough as it is melting steel, air restriction may contribute to noise levels.

The pressures required are not that high, it is the volume of air that needs to be controlled, and a gate valve as you say will be a more controllable arrangement if the orifice is the same as the air pipes.

I would suggest going for this option, as it can easily be transferred to a new blower, and see how effective it is, and if it does make a difference to the noise level.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for a new blower, and i hope it is quieter than you existing arrangement.. 

Have you looked for other blowers? I've been picking up raft, mattress, etc. inflaters for quite a while, the 12v Coleman Inflate All HO puts out more than enough air for a too big fire and has plenty of pressure. It makes noise but doesn't sound bad to me though it's louder than my Champ 400 hand crank blower. Bearing in mind I normally run a propane forge so my idea of loud may be a bit skewed.

You think I have to CLAIM to have meant to pervert your original question? Maybe I have to remind you I LOVE a straight line? I hijack joyfully I just try not to be malicious about it.

Frosty The Lucky.

So many options for air control.  I guess it makes sense to work on a gate right away.  I'm using 3"  pvc for ducting but also have flexible 4" dryer vent from using the bathroom vent fan.  I have a number of connections with HVAC people who promise me a centrifugal blower the next time they replace a furnace ( one guy works for a huge company that has a warehouse of old parts they don't need) but it never seems to work out.  I think I'm going to look into those gate valves AND build a wooden enclosure for my Dirt Devil just because it will be nice to have even when I replace it.  I'm basically going to take everyone's advice and welcome Frosty's humor to boot!

Lou

Ask your HVAC guys for an induction fan.  Pretty sure that's what the son-in-law called it.  They slip right on to a two inch piece of pipes ( pvc or steel) and are found on 90% + furnaces.  This motor clears any exhaust gases out before the furnace can start. Very quiet and push plenty of air.  You can then get a ceiling fan variable speed stat switch ($9.00 at Ace Hardware) and your set.  Sure beats the tar out of the hair dryer.  I have scavenged two more just in case.

Papy