I Forge Iron

Tiny, cold-weather shop suggestions

Juc

On 2016-09-02 at 3:19 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Why do you need a slack tub?  I've been smithing 35 years and hardly ever use one!

Because he is not in the desert but in a tiny place where he has difficulties in putting hot stuff away. Also he, like me, may wish to have as few hot bits and pieces lying around to be grabbed by the unwary especially his kids.

If you work in cold weather the temptation is to ventilate too little. You will need to be able to get the smoke collected close to the source so you do not ventilate out a lot of clean air. The normal hood arrangement tends to collect much more fresh air than smoke.

I omce met a very interesting man in a hotel bar in Toronto who said that he were an Eskimo and proud of it. He said that Inuit means "human being" and that may Eskimos wanted us to call them Inuits because that means that we are not humans. He was coroner in some very remote part of Alaska.

Gote

The appellation "Eskimo" was a term bestowed on the Inuit by one of the tribes in the Canadian far north. (Dene?, Dogrib ?, I don't remember which tribe). The term in their language translates to the pejorative, "eater of raw meat". The Indians and Inuit were traditional enemies and encounters, many years ago, usually resulted in bloodshed or worse. Most Inuit, now, object to that term.

So most of us, these days, use the term Inuit as a matter of respect. That also includes the Canadian Federal and Provincial governments

Just a little trivia,